Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes - Internet Explorer Integration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pshankland

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am trying to get notes to work when you use the mailto:<email> funtion (click on an Email address within Internet Explorer and it should open notes up to send a mail).

I have had it working before but now can't seem to use it. Within Internet Explorer Option -- Programs, Lotus Notes is selected within Email program to use, but it ALWAYS loads Outlook Express??

Any ideas as I am stumped!

Cheers

Not that this will be any help, but it's always worked for my and my clients. Suggestion - always list what version of Notes you are using, as well as any other program (IE in this case), as well as your OS.

This really helps in assisting you.
cpw...

Notes 5.0.9
Windows 2000 Professional SP2
Internet Explorer 5.00.3315.1000

Hmmm. Have your tried reinstalling Notes? Sometime IE can't find it and then it reverts to using Outlook.

Have just tried that but still no luck. I have had that problem you described (Windows not realising that Notes is installed), but the problem I have isn't that Windows dosn't know that Notes is there, it simply won't use it.

Hi, pshankland,

I may be all wet here, but your problem sounds like exactly the reverse of a problem one of my clients was having (that thread ended on January 28 in the &quot;Email issues&quot; forum). That is, my client was telling IE to use Outlook, but it kept throwing him into Lotus Notes.

His problem was solved by changing the &quot;URL: Mail to.&quot; See this link for a more detailed discussion:
If I am way out of line here, I apologize, but at least it's another source for you.

Good luck,
Beth

Hi Baylee,

Cheers for the help. Only yesterday I found out where the problem lies....in the registry. Even though through Internet Explorer I had everything set to Lotus Notes Outlook Express would still load on a mailto:. I have put the registry entries below that I had to change but if anyone else gets this problem they may need to fiddle around with the keys to suit their own needs:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\Shell\Open\Command]
@=&quot;C:\\Notes\\notes.exe %1&quot;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes]
@=&quot;Lotus Notes&quot;
&quot;DLLPath&quot;=&quot;C:\\Notes\\nmailman.dll&quot;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Protocols\mailto]
&quot;URL Protocol&quot;=&quot;&quot;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Protocols\mailto\Shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Protocols\mailto\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Protocols\mailto\Shell\Open\Command]
@=&quot;C:\\Notes\\notes.exe %1&quot;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Lotus Notes\Shell\Open\Command]
@=&quot;C:\\Notes\\notes.exe MAIL&quot;

All these keys/values were either missing or set-up for Outlook Express. Hope this helps other people.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back