Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes Client crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
AU

This is an FYI more than a question.
I am using Notes client 5.0.8 and Domino 4.6.6b.
This only happens on three PC's out of 120.
The notes client crashes once a day when the user is in mail.The referenced memory error. No other apps running.
We only use notes for mail.
Win2k clients. SP4 and a few fixes
DELL GX110/GX150 128/256MB ram
No sequence to crashing events at all.
It would have to be the finance director and the HR manager.

I have done the following in an attempt to solve the problem

a) Removed the cache.dsk, desktop.dsk
b) Recreated the users mail box
c) re-installed notes
d) replaced the memory in the PC
e) Increased the memory in the PC.
f) rebuilt the PC
g) replaced the PC. Yes the entire PC.
h) removed the roller ball mouse
i) installed the latest BIOS
j) installed the latest drivers for all devices, video etc.
k) qnc -u
l) removed the antivirus
m) contacted a local feng shui consultant
n) performed an exorcism on the PC & user

OK the last two I've only considered.

Problem still exists.
I ain't got no fancy agents.

Please don't respond only to tell me that you have 5000 PC's 5.0.8 to 5.0.12 and have never had a crash. I'm just depressed. I'm off to get very very drunk.

Have one for me Mizzy

I had four users (out of about 500) that would crash with a Panic box a few times a day to a few times a week; all on 5.0.8 and all running multiple MFGPro sessions and one other program that escapes my memory right now. Tried most of the tricks you mentioned in your post - nada. (BTW, all servers at 5.0.8)

So I upgraded these fine people to 5.0.12, Result? Same thing! Drove me crazy. I never found a solution to it and the only common thread was this other program (the one I can't remember) which was being used for a project.

The project is over and now it isn't happening any more.

Sorry - no solution for you, just empathy

K

I hope I do not speak too soon.

The other day I was thinking about this and there was one thing that I had not tried.

We are still running 4.6.6b domino servers. All our clients are 5.0.8. Lotus advise not to do this(clients newer than the servers) but they never mentioned anything about crashing as one of the reasons.

So I uninstalled 5.0.8 from the client PC and I installed 4.6.6b client. Since I have done this the clients have stopped crashing.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back