Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes as defualt client for IE and Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2003
NZ
Two problems:
1. I want notes to launch within IE when I click a mailto link in a web page. I have it at the point where I can click on a link and notes will load, prompt for the password and open a blank email when notes is closed. However if notes is open I get told this: "Unable to open desktop file. Notes may have terminated abnormally..." as it tries to launch another instance of Notes; how do I tell notes to load only if its not open and otherwise open a new message? I am assuming I can run a dll or something? Currently I have edited hkey_classes_root, mailto, shell, open, command to this "c:\lotus\notes\nlnotes.exe =h:\lotus\notes\notes.ini %1". What is the better way to do this?

2. Within MS Word is an option under the file menu; Send To, now sometimes this has "Recipient as Mail Attachment" but more often than not we don't. Where is this set?

Thanks in advance

Can't you just go to Tools, Internet options in IE and choose Lotus Notes from the program tab.

In Notes, Click on File, preferences, user preferences and there is an option to enable sendto from msoffice.

Not sure if you are asking for more than this, but this works for me without any probs.

Tony

I know, it should be that easy, but for some mysterious reason it isn't...

I do wonder if it is something to do with running within a Citrix environment (Notes and IE and Office), but I can't seem to find a way to make it work properly.

And as for getting Office to detect its installed....

I have a similar setup running and works fine. I never changed the registry key that you did. I simply changed the link for lotus notes to "c:\lotus\notes\notes.exe =h:\lotus\notes\data\notes.ini" (I copy all the necessary files under the lotus\notes\data folder on H:). Anyway, In IE I have the default e-mail client set as notes and every time I click on a mailto link in IE notes just opens up a new memo. It may be a problem if they are not published off the same Citrix Server. In my case I actually have all Office, Notes, and IE published off the same server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back