Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes 5 Disk Space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

spi200

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
AU
Hi

I have been fighting a loosing battle, I have had low disk space for sometime and have been able to manage this using archiving and cleaning unneeded databases etc.
It seems my mail files are growing at an even faster rate lately and archiving is just not cutting it. Were are migrating to exchange soon, but keeps getting pushed back and back. How can I get some more space out of my Domino R5 which is running on NT4 ? Is there a compression utility which can compress Db which are not often used or similar.
I may be able to get some budget to extend the raid 5 array, but that might not get me far on NT4 as it will probably have to rebuilt.
Any suggestion will be helpful.

David

You dont mention whether you have been running Compact on your server. When you compact the mail files, any free space in the file (left from deleted mails etc) is freed up.

Other files that you can save on are the log files. You can copy these off (or delete them) with the server down and it will recreate a new one at startup. If you use iNotes (http) there are probably log files in a subfolder that can be stripped out.

Oh, and also...
\domino\data\help - can be deleted
\domino\data\modems - can probably also go (unless you dial into the servers own modem

Thanks MarkHP

I have been archiving database's then running a compact once a week. Just seems that its not enough to get me by so thats why its I posted here.
Thanks for the tips

Regards

David

Hi David,
have you tried compact with -B option?
If you are plannig to migrate to exchange, I would suggest you to inform users, that, according to the migration, they should decrease their mail files to the size of for example 50 MB

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back