Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes 5.0.6 causes p.c to freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac631

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
GB
Hi all, does anyone know why Lotus Notes causes p.c's to freeze? It seems to happen more often than not when a user has the internet running at the same time. Also is 128 meg ram enough to cope with it.

We have 200+ machines running this version of Notes and Ive not come across it freezing a machine. Sometimes it looks as though its hanging if you connect to a large database over a slow connection. Can you give us more detail?

Cheers Jonny, we have 1500 users using Notes over a 10/100meg 3comm network. Most are still on 10 meg connections. The p.c's themselves are all celeron 700's or 1000's, running windows 98 & Netware client.

OK. Its still a little vague but I'll speculate. I could do with some more detail about the problem. When you say freezes, do you mean the machine hangs and needs rebooting or is it temporary. If its a temporary problem - do you have the yellow lighting symbol in the bottom left showing that its doing something - i.e. replicating. I assume everyone connects to local server(s) on the same lan and that internet mail goes through the server. Check in the users location documents (File, Mobile, Edit current location) that internet mail is sent via the Domino server and not directly to internet. Also, what ports are enabled in the location? If the machines respond again after freezing , check the log to see what the last thing(s) it was doing. (The status bar)

The p.c locks up & needs rebooting. Everyone connects to local servers, &the mail does go through the server, not direct to the internet. With no input available untill we reboot, we can't see the log. The ports we use are tcpip, spx & lan0..

You mention spx & reading back through your earlier message I didnt notice the netware client. Thats the major difference to our config. There are a number of issues with the Novell Client listed on the IBM website. It may need a Novell client upgrade if you use Novell Client32 versions 4.6/4.7/4.8

Have a look under / choose specific product 'lotus notes' and search for 'hangs' + 'novell' or similar. There are loads of suggestions there.

It may be worth doing a search on 'MSVCRT.DLL'. I recall reading there was some issue with a certain installation replacing it.

Thanks for your help jonny. I will give this a try..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back