Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOTEPAD PROBLEM in WINDOWS XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

blmbrsm

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I am trying to ope a text file in notepad and all I get is the following garble and I need to know why I am getting this when the file is supposed to be plain text?

_šì«€÷å‚øɵƒøôÚ±õ¢Ÿ¾±>ǫꮀ÷ây¤™ôªƒ²£EžøªçÝ¢œ|ú±ô¢Ì ¡G£Ò¶è¸óÿ‚øÓ¢˜¾±1Ë´ð¤ƒâåÜŸì©À²Ù±ú¨œæôü·ú¬‰æ±Uܹ÷ ‰¨ S—ñ”Í­õö
˫ꮃü±¹Žá¹þÌ«œ‹ïªí®€þôð×ø©Ê柛Ž¤÷³íƲØêȹ÷³žë±ÇϪþ¢Ÿ²»¬„÷”Í£ðûâͬ¹…àöí£ÒÏ®ŸûóåËø¨ÊæÖôæÏ¡¹öߢ¡†¤Šü±…äô¬žÕ“ÊæÝóç˻펂ñœ„ø±ê®Žþô¯ŸÕ“ƒ‰þðéŽéª÷ÜŸ›Ãˮ𱉲¡Ÿ¤Õ“ˆŽøôðÚ‘÷¤á˜Çýݱû«‰² ˜¤œü«ë±§è©ÊæÀôáÇ®üçÜŸ›•¤—û­‰ñåÐÀ»”ͺûâóÌ´üçÝŸ›ßË´ø¾Ì£¢¬žÕ“•‰äøëËø©Ê柛Ñ̲ü¤˜Ûÿü£ÒÏ®ŸûóÌËø©ÊæÖôÍÏ¡¹öÜ¢¡¯¤Šü±…äôƒŸÕ“ÊæÝóÎ˻펂ñœ¯ø±ê®Žþô†žÕ“ƒ‰þðÞŽé©÷ÜŸ›úˮ𱉲 ¤¤Õ“Êæ½»€„øÏ¢„ûòÇËøÛ¦žõôߎò³íß›â̲ü¤˜ÛÿÍ£ÒÏ®ŸûóÃËø¨ÊæÖôÜÏ¡¹öÞ¢¡¼¤Šü±…äô’žÕ“ÊæÝóÙ˻펂ñœ¾ø±ê®Žþô•ŸÕ“ƒ‰þðÏŽé«÷ÜŸ›åˮ𱉲¡µ¤Õ“ˆŽøôÚÚ‘÷¤á˜ÇÓݱû«‰² ¶¤œü«ë±œè©ÊæÀôËÇ®üçÜŸ›³¤—û­‰ñåöÀ»”ͺûâ©Ì´üçÝŸ›…Ë´ø¾Ì£¡òžÕ“•‰äøµËø©Ê柛‹Ì²ü¤˜Ûÿ¦£ÒÏ®ŸûóªËø¨ÊæÖô«Ï¡¹öÜ¢¡Å¤Šü±…äôéžÕ“ÊæÝó Ë»íŽ‚ñœÁø±ê®ŽþôìŸø”ͨ÷ý¬×ø¨÷Ü¢œÄü½ï®š÷±ÿ£Ò”Íᘾú„ò¹“üú¢Žò³íß›Ì²ü¤˜²Å²À³”ͺûâ½Ì´üçÝŸ›‘Ë´ø¾Ì££æžÕ“•‰äø¡Ëø©Ê柛—̲ü¤˜Ûÿº£ÒÏ®Ÿûó¶Ëø¨ÊæÖô·Ï¡¹öÞ¢¡Ñ¤Šü±…äôýžÕ“ÊæÝó´Ë»íŽ‚ñœÕø±ê®ŽþôÀŸÕ“ƒ‰þð˜Žé«÷ÜŸ›°Ë®ð±‰²¡î¤Õ“ˆŽøô‡Ú‘÷¤á˜ÇŒÝ±û«‰²¡ë¤œü«ë±Öœè©ÊæÀôžÇ®üçÜŸ›ä¤—û­‰ñå£À»”ͺûâ‚Ì´üçÜŸ›¨Ë´ø¾Ì££ÝžÕ“•‰äø˜Ëø©Ê柛 Ì²ü¤˜Ûÿ“£ÒÏ®ŸûóËø©ÊæÖôžÏ¡¹öÞ¢¡þ¤Šü±…äôÔžÕ“Ê柛ڄò³ç­ÂÒ…Žò³íß›¸Ì²ü¤˜²Ð¨íÕ“‘…áø›Â½¹öá˜ÕŸÂ¹àçÝ¢¡Ë£ÒË¢šû癎è”Íá˜ÞŸÄ½ú³¥üòó¤Žð´…ðýšŽé”ͨ÷ýaÖø¨÷Ü¢œ ý½ï®š÷±2¢Ò”Í£ðûf̬ЩŸ›RÆ«ð¥€÷±4¢ÒÝ¢€óè&žè©÷á˜ÃbÙ±ï¢Ì¢œ¢Ò”Íø»#šöªŽ÷ãyò³íß›DͲü¤˜²Ócºüµá˜Çdܱû«‰² ¥œü«ë±>Ÿè©ÊæÀôfÆ®üçÜŸ›¥—û­‰ñå[Á»”ͺûâzÍ´üçÝŸ›PÊ´ø¾Ì£¡%ŸÕ“•‰äø`Êø©Ê柛XͲü¤˜Ûÿ{¢ÒÏ®ŸûóuÊø¨ÊæÖôvΡ¹öÜ¢¡¥Šü±…äô<ŸÕ“çᘜ€ò³íÌØôjÜø³íƽœàºó¢æ±jʬ”ͺûâHÍ´üçÝŸ›fÊ´ø¾Ì£§ŸÕ“•‰äøRÊø©Ê柛jͲü¤˜ÛÿE¢ÒÏ®ŸûóKÊø¨ÊæÖôDΡ¹öÚ¢¡$¥Šü±…äô

How are your other .txt files behaving in Notepad?

You may have just overwritten or otherwise corrupted the example you posted.

The only other thing you could try is to go into Folder Options and View and uncheck the box &quot;Hide Extensions For Known File Types&quot; (hides the last part of a file name, reducing clutter in folder windows), and make sure it is a .txt file and not a double extension file (ie Notepad.txt.exe).

Other text files come up fine. I have several of these files and they all come up garble. I have the extension option on and they all end with .txt Also, they worked before I upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.

Did you turn encryption on for that folder(s)?

Maybe it is a languege not installed in your machine?

Check the file type installed with the .txt extension. It may have an incorrect file association installed.

check the font your are using:

Format>Font

and try a different font. Try the current font in Word as well to see if it is functioning correctly.

That file you posted looks like some kind of code. It's not an EXE or a ZIP file. Did you dowload if from somewhere or someone send it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back