Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notebook suddenly won't login to 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougnc

Programmer
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 server at home, running active directory, dhcp, dns, etc.

My notebook, which I take from work to home everyday, suddenly started to get "login server did not recognise your domain password or access to the server has been denied."

It logs in fine to the 2000 server at work, even tho it's set up the same as mine at home.

The DHCP lease for the notebook was renewed 12/30, so that might have something to do with it. But I've been thru the scope options, they are the same as the one at work.

Also, I took off the DCHP in network and put in all the information manually, got the same thing.

The network connection is fine because I can terminal serve into the server, and use the same login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What OS are you using on the laptop?

Can you logon to the Domain as any other user from your laption?

Windows Me on the notebook. And I can't login as administrator either. Also, I can log in to the server thru Terminal Sevices using that login.

Try this on your ME computer:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP]
"IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

Try enabling LMHOSTS and put your authenticating server in the LMHOST file.

Question: Did you physically enter in your DNS/WINS settings, or do you have DHCP doing that for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back