Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not your regular everyday EMAIL Question - don't ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommieB

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have been task with sending emails from with a VB application. I figured, 'No Problem', just use CDONTS and I can send multiple attachments, have multiple addresses, everything.

Boy, was I wrong! It would appear that none of the damned workstations have SMTP Services installed and the boss does not want them changed. (Why would Outlook not install SMTP as a matter of course?) Also this application is to be sold to the outside world and there is no way for me to know what they do or do not have installed on their machines.

I can't just use the Outlook object because of the new problem that Outlook as been made to ask for confirmation before sending emails from outside applications.

I think that what I need to do is create something that sits on the server (which does have SMTP). I would need to pass the email information to that COM object, .exe, whatever and let the server send the emails.

Now to the real problem.....I don't know if what I am proposing is possible and if it is, I have never created a COM object before and am unsure how it would work. I need help!

Can anyone out there give me some advice or just point me in the right direction?

...if there will be SQL Server, try using xp_sendmail... no need for clients to install anything. it's totally handled by the Server side.

Have Fun!

Yes, the database is SQL. Tell me more about xp_sendmail.

Can it send attachments?

What does using it do to the system resources? SQL servers are notorious for sucking up as much resources as it can get its hands on.

Is there a limit to the number of emails it can send out at any given time?

Can my application continue to process transactions normally while xp_sendmail is in use?

Yes, it can send attachments... of course, it'll take up some resources, but very minimal 'cause, it'll relay through your mail server... there will be no limit to the number of emails it can send out, however, it'll send one at a time... definitely, your app can run other processes while xp_sendmail is in use. for more info's on xp_sendmail, use the url below:

Have Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back