Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not unique table/alias: <tablename> for temporary table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBattersby

Technical User
Apr 5, 2006
GB
I’m converting an application from Paradox to MySQL (first time I’ve used this) and am replacing Paradox local tables with MySQL temporary tables – I understand each user will have a unique copy of the table. Basically I issue the following two commands :

'drop temporary table if exists <tablename>'

'create temporary table <tablename> like <tablename>'

where <tablename> is a table structure in the database with 0 records. This strategy was successful while I was working with a local copy of MySQL on my development PC, but when I run the system from a server on the office network I get the following error :

#42000Not unique table/alias: <tablename>

The environment I work in is Windows XP Pro SP2, Delphi 5 and CoreLabs MyDAC data access components. I’ve searched this site and Googled to no avail. Hoping someone has seen this before.

Important information I omitted : MySQL version is 5.0.45 and all tables are InnoDB

Solved. The problem was naming the temporary table the same as the permanent table, as described in 'MySQL Cookbook' by Paul DuBois, chapter 4.3.

well, yeah :)

did the book actually use this --

create temporary table <tablename> like <tablename>

that's misleading, it should have said --

create temporary table <tablename[blue]2[/blue]> like <tablename[blue]1[/blue]>'

r937.com | rudy.ca

I quote from MySQL Cookbook :

'Another property of temporary tables is that they can be created with the same name as a permanent table. In this case, the temporary table "hides" the permanent table for the duration of its existence, which can be useful for making a copy of a table that you can modify without affecting the original by mistake.'

There follows an example illustrating this behaviour. As I originally mentioned, this seems to work OK on a local copy of MySQL but not on a network.

Thanks for the reply in any case.

What is the version of MySQL on the office server?

It might be an earlier version of MySQL which simply ignored the TEMPORARY keyword which, I think, would result in the behaviour you've observed.

This is only a guess!

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

Good thought, Andrew. The version on my local PC is 5.0.27-community-nt, and that on the server is 5.0.45-community-nt. Maybe the difference.

It's unlikely to be the slightly different versions that is causing the problem.

Maybe you don't have CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE privilege on the server? This is a different privilege to the CREATE TABLE privilege.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

Both my local PC and the server MySQL have full privileges granted

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back