Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not to shift from CF but

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkGuy101

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
I want to make a deployable program to interface with a database without the user to be required to have a coldfusion server installed what languauge would I use to do this while having all the abilities that coldfusion does? Can javascript be used in this way?

Joe

That's a design question more then anything else.

Do you want this to be a web application that you are going to host?
If so then CF will work fine but you will need to have CF server installed on your webserver.

If you have a Windows based server and don't want to buy CFServer then use ASP for the presentation layer.

If you have a linux server running apache then use HTML and PERL or C as a CGI file.

If your client environment is a windows based one, then you could use VB, or VC to create an EXE that access the database through an ODBC connection, or you could write the whole thing in Access and create an MBE file that you distribute to people.

Or if you want it to work in a MAC and Windows environment (and you want a lot of frustration with stupidity in design) you could use Filemaker Pro (or as I like to call it FrustrationMaker Con)

It's totally up to you. You will have to make your environment requirements, then choose the solution that best fits that environment.

"Every day is like a precious gift, you have to make it count" James Birrell 1993-2001

Jeepxo's right on. It's really up to you, Joe.

You're not going to find anything that looks and feels the same as ColdFusion without running ColdFusion... but you can certainly replicate it's abilities (with varying degrees of difficulty) in just about any language (Jeepxo didn't happen to mention PHP... which is actually one of my favorite alternatives).

But, unless you're talking about a full on desktop application (ie - a Windows executable built in C++, for instance), the user is more than likely going to have to have something installed (some sort of app server, or at least a language interpreter) to run it. With something like PERL or PHP, the price (free) is certainly better than ColdFusion... but the user would still need to know how to install the solution and how to maintain it.

But, if you step back a bit and maybe look at what you're trying to do in a little different manner. "Deployable App" can mean many things. If you broke out that functionality that you would like to write in ColdFusion, you could certainly offer it up as a web service from your server (which presumably runs ColdFusion). Then your users can interface can consume the web service(s) with whatever language/technology their environment supports.

-Carl

Well I did a application (Alot of thanks to the people on this forum) that my bosses at work liked and I may get the chance to try it out at another location. I am trying to figure out the best way to make it without requiring the purchase of coldfusion. It is an Intranet App and every location that might run this has a web server. I did some C++ but the only thing I remember now is a Hello message. I would like to make it professional though and give me people a nice warm fuzzy feeling on the inside when they use it for the first time. How well does C++ connect work with databases and how well does it communicate over the network? I may have to post this in another forum but help is always appreciated- Joe

How well (read: "how robust") C++ connects to databases and communicates over the network depends very much on the brand of C++ you're using and the modules/libraries you have.

If you spent all the time developing this app already, and everyone likes it, stick with ColdFusion. If you move to any other language, it's a lot more development time (building it in C++ will most likely take ~ 5 times the development time that the original took you in ColdFusion, for instance... or even longer since you'll have to ramp up from your "Hello World" knowledge), and you're never ever going to get it to look and behave exactly like your ColdFusion version.

I'd definitely look at using your existing app as a webservice, or simply redirect this "new location" to a new instance on your current server.

-Carl

I'd suggest PHP4 - very easy to install, free, quite a powerful language, and reasonably easy to learn and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back