Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not the HD? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandie2005

Technical User
Aug 3, 2005
CA
I have a Cicero system and it appeared that the HD was a goner. Replaced the HD and now I appear to have a BIOS perpetual beep. Any suggestions?

please post mobo specs. have you reviewed trouble shooting faqs on the manufacturers website. have you gone into the bios to make sure the new HD is appearing properly

Sorry. The Bios does read the HD. It's a Cicero (bought at Future shop a few years ago) The only ID numbers on it are: MS-6524 Ver 1. My client knows nothing else on the machine. 256 MB of RAM, add-on lan card.

I am unable to find a manuafacturer's site for Cicero. The HD is an 40 GB WD Protege model. Very old.

the new HD is very old" is it known to be good?

cicero maybe the manufacturer of the entire PC but the individual parts specificlly the mobo is prolly made by someone else. can you open the case to identify the mobo

Hi, I have opened case to view the mobo and that's all the ID it owns. The old HD I slaved out and do not see it on other machines although the BIOS is there. The new HD is brand new.

Hi Pandie2005,

You mentioned that you "slaved" out the original drive and can't view it on other machines [Fat 16?]. I don't quite follow you here. Did you return it to the computer you're working on and set it as a slave? If so, try starting your computer with just the new hard drive connected to the motherboard.

Has the ribbon to the floppy drive accidentally been flipped? Usually the LED on the floppy will turn on right away if it has. Sometimes a computer will hang if it's wrong; but sometimes it will boot.

Don't forget the "Cable Select" option on hard drives. Just when you think everything has been tried, sometimes that's the ticket. When working with only one drive, though, you probably wouldn't need to worry about cable select.

Kemisco

-----

Take your computer outdoors when blowing out the dust; it's mostly skin dust. A clean computer is a cool computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back