Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not sure if this is the right place for my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nctechno

Technical User
Sep 10, 2005
US
I got two laptops. "A" is running W2K Pro and "B" is running Win98. This is what I would like to do, please feel free to correct any of my moves. Using partition magic, I want to create a partition on "A" laptop then using drive copy, copy the contents of "B" onto "A" laptop. Does this sound sound? Second question now is how do I make "A" laptop dual bootable?

You'll have a hard time getting it too boot like that.

You can copy the contents of B onto A, but it will not boot by itself. You'll most likely need a 3rd party boot manager something like this to make it dual bootable.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Why don't you backup the data off the both machines then rebuild the laptop using the two windows disks, using two partitions (one for each)?
This will prevent you from having driver/hardware issues.

Also, why do you need the Win98 partition???

Just to add to my prev post:

Why don't you save your files from laptop B onto a disk and put them on laptop A. If for example your drive on laptop B isn't a CD/DVD Writer, you could use a crossover network cable?

Win2K is way better than Win98.

All your suggestions sound good to me, problem is, there is a program on laptop B that I got to have and have lost my installation CD so this was the "easiest" way to keep that program active. I don't care for Win98. Now that you know the bottom of my reasoning, any other ideas? BTW, I just tried installing Partition Magic on my laptop A and it won't work. Mssg reads "Partition Magic will not work on NT Workstation" but its Win2K? What gives?

Ok,

I have used Norton Ghost in the past when needing to do this kind of task.

I would create images of both PC (or laptops) onto CD's (DVD's if drive is available), then load the two images on to the target PC making sure that the first load you provide enough space on the HDD for the second image.

Sometimes after loading the images (when using different win versions) I would need to use the windows CD (in your case win2k) to fix the MBR so that it will see the two copies of windows.

If one (or both) of your laptops doesn't have a writer drive, you could use a crossover network cable and connect it to the another laptop or PC, there is a server version of Ghost that allows you to do this and you could just save the image as a file on a PC's HDD (saving CD's).

Ghost's help file does describe this better if you decide to go down that route.

Hope this helps

Use VMWare. The VMWare Server version is free. Download and install it onto your Windows 2000 PC (assuming it is supported). Then install a fresh VM using Windows 98. Then from your Windows 98 machine, take a backup of the Windows 98 system. Restore that backup over top of the VM install of Windows 98, and you should be good to go.

Also, I know that VMWare has a converter application that will convert a running computer into a virtual machine image. I'm not sure if there is a free version of if it runs on Windows 98 though.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Server can also use Ghost images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back