Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not sure if it would be possible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperdaz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
This is what i want...

Take an normal html web page that you have to scroll down on... the scroll bar is on the right hand side of the page and going downwards etc...

I want to change this on a page of text so that it scrolls from say one corner to the other of the page... or at a smaller angle.....

what could do this for me... flash/ java ???

and how???

must be possible!!!

You want it to scroll diaganolly (sp) from the top left to the right bottom?

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO is back! Sorry I've been away for so long--it's been a busy year ;-)
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

So, as if your page was just a huge image and you could grab it with the cursor and scroll willy-nilly across it?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

sort off yes... take an a4 peice of paper and place it normally agenst ur monitor...

then tilt it slightly so the bottom is in the left corner and the top is in the right...

i also want the scroll bar to be in this angle

Hm, fascinating.

It is definitely beyond the capability of JavaScript! (unles you tell your users "Tilt your monitor now to experience Tilt-O-Vision!"

I would think you might even have to go so far as to write your own widget objects, but maybe not. I mean, if you don't mind slightly wobbly reaction, you could probably do this using graphics.

What a horrible thing to do to your users! [lol]

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Hmm....I'm actually kind of wondering if JavaScript could do this...:p....It's definately not the everyday script, but I'm not so sure that a custom scroll box couldn't be built to make this happen. The question is "How?" :p.

This is what I've come up with so far:
1. Make an image that looks like the scrollbar, only slanted at a certain angle.
2. Make it so that when the user drags the image to scroll, the image moves x pixels right and y down where y/x is the slope of the line.
3. Make it so that the image that PHP (assuming server side scripting capabilities) automatically generated on the fly from your page's text and "tilted" to the same angle as the "scrollbar" automaticall scrolls the same x pixels right and y down when the scrollbar is moved.

That seems to be all the logic needed behind it, unless I'm missing something. Anyone want to try their hand at this or should I give it a shot in the morning?

Rick

RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

Well, if you have to use PHP or other server-side stuff, then it's not exactly within the realm of JavaScript, is it? [smile]

It can be done. Certainly using a graphical method like I described or like you described -- just reposition images appropriately. You'll have to build images first...

I think it would be cool to have a funhouse mirror script that would tweak the browser window into big waves.

Hm, I've been thinking about this. If you have an otherwise static page that ahppens to have a tilted track of a scrollbar, you can use JavaScript to track mouse clicks and drags and use math to figure out if the click was within your parallelogram for the scrollbar. If so, then use the mouse cursor coordinates to reposition the scroller control.

Plus, you can determine the percentage of coverage based on location.

However...

Displaying sideways (or otherwise angled) text is, um, problematic, as is scrolling it perpindicular to the text direction. If the content of your web page was images instead of text, say, a bunch of slices of a text page, then you couljd kinda' simulate a scroll effect and even match the display angle.

In fact, you could build a little control for displaying the things at most any angle you like.

But it would be heinous to code, very difficult to edit afterwards, and might be quite unpleasant for the user.

Hm...

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Hmmm I hope its possible...

I dont want to use images because theres going to be a lot of text... and I want to change the text quite a lot once on the page iF i use images then i gotta create millions of images n slices etc.. very impratical and slower to load etc...

I am glad I have fascinated ya :p cant quite believe really that websites are still so under desinged...

and features simular to these are not more widespread... I am just a normal person like most other billion people on the web did the rest just give up and keep within the limites of posibilities etc...

if either of u two guys get a working prototype using whatevers needed let me know :) I just gotta use this.... sooner the better :)

***p.s.*** useless at programming, not bad at design ;p

hyperdaz...

It's not that this kind of thing is the browsers fault. Actually, it's the design and functionality of the monitor and the computer. It's quite a chore just getting text horizontially on the screen let alone at an angle!

Monitors are built on a matrix, or grid, design. (X & Y axis.) Since this is a mathematical equation, it's not a problem to generate horizontal and vertical lines, or even text. The math let's the computer know where each letter/word/sentence starts and stops. But there is no other mathematical axis in the 2 dimensional plane of a monitor (in your case, something about 30 degrees from vertical) that cooresponds to any known math function that would allow the placement of text at an angle on the monitor. Thus, placing text in this manner is going to be purely graphical.

There's always a better way...

hyperdaz: ...cant quite believe really that websites are still so under desinged... and features simular to these are not more widespread...

Well, for the most part, you're going against several thousand years of history. The principle method of written communication on the planet is horizontal text, reading left to right (yes, there are other ways). The waaaaaay principal method of reading text electronically is left-to-right, horizontally.

Your first year of design class should have been very clear on the anthropological issues of design -- when you design something that is hard to use, it won't be used. Natural Selection works very well in the field of design!

As far as under-designed websites, I have never seen in ten thousand years of recorded history a medium pushed to the limits of functionality and design as the web. I mean, there's just really nothing against which one can compare the web, with it's millions of individual designers and voices, all hollering out their own words in their own way.

So, it's hard for me to think that there's any sort of dearth of design weirdness out there when nothing else on the planet or in the recorded history of all civilizations on this planet can even come close to what's already out there and being cranked out. Furthermore, I know that only the tiniest fraction of what's possible using HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript or Perl is being done. Which means, and I do not think that I am exaggerating in the slightest, that we have used a small percentage of what's already possible to outstrip everything else on the planet.

So, pardon me if I have a chuckle at the idea that web design is limited in ability. [lol]

Coming back from the Perspective Trip, now, you're talking about doing a rather unusual thing: displaying text sideways.

This is a "design limitation" in the same way that windshield wipers on the inside of the glass are a design limitation. Nobody specs it because nobody would probably do it because they would know that, outside of the novelty value, it is less useful than keeping the wipers on the outside of the glass. Or keeping the text level.

Alternately, you can think of it this way: make a website with white letters on a white background. How popular/interesting/frequently read do you suppose that page will be. That white-on-white page is more accessible than a page with tilted text!

You can angle text in a couple of different ways:
[ul]
[li]make a graphic image (or a bunch of slices)[/li]
[li]angle text in a word processing document, such as a Word file, then save the .doc on the web[/li]
[li]Angle the text in a PDF and save that on the web.[/li]
[li]You can probably do this with Flash or Swish. The text is editable, you just have to recompile your swf file each time you change it.[/li]
[/ul]

I approached it from the "novelty" angle, meaning that I basically sacrificed readability and useability to solve the problem. However, if readability and/or useability is important to you, then you might reconsider angling your text. The people who aren't already tilted because of nerve damage or paralysis will become so and then they'll have their monitors tilted manually to accomodate the entire rest of the web with their disability and still your website won't be accessible. [smile]

Maybe that'll help, maybe not.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

EdwardMartinIII...

Very well put - and I agree 100%! Take a star for your wisdom and humbleness!

There's always a better way...

hmmm do you think i am attacking web design(ers)????

Its not...
I dont mind going agesnst history, to create something different the past is a limiting factor... first year of design class *never done any years, mmm looks at the history of education maybe thats another topic*

the web and ten thousand years.... if only the web where ten thousand years old... but its not the design, functionality of websites that are the reasons why the web is a meduim that no other has touched before... its the communication aspect of anyone anywhere being able to leave text picture and other multimedia for anyone to see... In a way a TV only pushes to you... You cant broadcast to anyone else *you probably could if you had the equipment and rights to but normally people dont*

99% of all websites are text with some graphics and this serves as 100 usable funtion as you mention.. But u can have white text with white backgrounds theres nothing stopping me... if i so desire..

CSS, Java, JavaScript or Perl and the million other programming languages and products availible the only reason they have been created are original limiting factors off HTML...

I also do not believe its a problem with the monitor... displaying a pixal is always a pixal....

just playing in psp7 the angle i was thinking off would be 315 degrees... but maybe 30 degrees would be better.. who knows

"make a graphic image (or a bunch of slices)

angle text in a word processing document, such as a Word file, then save the .doc on the web

Angle the text in a PDF and save that on the web."

knowing how to scroll is the problem id need to scroll at 30 degrees or 315 no matter what methord I used to display the text / jpgs etc

the idea around CSS is interesting take parts of normal html etc and place them where I want them...

you mention readablity of the text etc once displayed to be honest I had not really thought about this... when I first had the idea and up until you mentioned it... but its not for a 10,000 document or i might get sued for back neck syndrome caused by reading the web lol...

Its mainly to make the page look different and stand out....

Thanks for your interest and comments

knowing how to scroll is the problem id need to scroll at 30 degrees or 315 no matter what methord I used to display the text / jpgs etc

Can scroll bars be created at angles ???

If the page of text was larger then the screen youd not want the normal scroll bar on theright hands side otherwise people would move down then have to move left or right etc..

<html><body style=&quot;overflow:hidden;&quot;>This will make the browser window NOT scroll....</body></html>

You would have to create a custom scrollbar script using images and Javascript. It could be done that way, and 30 degrees is not a hard slope to program this for. However, a standard scroll bar couldn't do this.

Rick

RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

For whatever reason, I can no longer scroll vertically through messages in Outlook Express. I can only move from left to right, not top to bottom. This is a new event. How to fix please? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back