Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not sure if I'm on the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikermouse

Programmer
Dec 21, 2002
US
Not sure if I'm on the right forum to ask this but I'm on XP
home and Ive got a problem with an old version of TurboCad 4 from IMSI. For the longest time I couldn;t get it to start at all but I was finally able to get it started by placing an old copy of MFC42.dll in the same folder as the executable. This was a recommended correction from IMSI.

Now the program crashes when I access the File menu if I have no drawing object selected. Would there be another old dll I could place in the same folder as the executable to correct this? Im thinking it's something like the common controls or which ever library controls the menu items.

Anyrate I thought to ask here.
Thanks foe any help you can give me,
- TJ(bikermouse)

Any corrective measures you can take are dependent upon how TurboCad operates. Beyond getting in touch with the makers of TC, the best thing I can suggest is to uninstall TurboCad, delete all the associated program files and/or directories left over, optionally (and probably unnecessarily) remove all references to TC from your registry, and reinstall it fresh. Beyond that, its probably an invalid registry entry pointing to the MFC42.DLL file from TC.

If you're using an old version of TC on an XP box, which I think you said, then good luck getting it to work. I think the most certain and pain-free way of fixing it is to install an older version of windows on the box and just dual-boot. But thats just me :)

ultrasalyan,
I guess I was actually trying to ask which library controls
the menus at the top of a page in a normal window under MFC(file - edit - help - etc). Is it the MFC42.dll or another one? Thanks for the reply, I'll check the registry for improper refs from TCW40 to mfc42 and if I have to, reinstall.

Note:
The program works on xp except as I noted above. If you select something to save before choosing the file menu it works fine. also the edit and the menus to the right of that seem to work under all conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back