Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not sure how to word this but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamStang

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
US
Sorry for the poor subject line. My brain is fried from trying to find an answer to my problem and I just couldnt think of a short way of putting this.

Basically, I am attempting to write code that a download manager can understand, so to speak. My links on my site are as such:

They open fine in a browser. However, if a download manager is used, all the visitor will get is, of course, "index.php". I know it is possible to use a link like above with download managers. I've seen numerous sites incorporate this.

If anyone knows how this is done, please point me in the right direction. I dont need "cut and paste" code, just the basics. I'll take it from there (I Hope).

what do you mean by a download manager? do you mean one of those programs that will resume downloading in the middle of an interrupted file, or something different?

It sounds like it to me. They also have a simple browser built in that will show you all the links on a page so you can pick out the ones you want to download.

I think your problem is in the download providing script, not the page with the links on it. I've seen other systems like that and all the links look like "download.php?id=273957" and both IE and GetRight will save that file as realfilename-273957.zip (or whatever the server says the filename actually is).

Don't forget to put the Mime type on the download! Maybe that's where you can put the filename?

Got it working fellas.

It was, after all the effort, a cookie issue. Go figure!

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back