Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not strictly a C# question, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeat

Programmer
Mar 27, 2004
GB
I'm not sure which forum to ask this question so here seems as good as any.

Can anyone recommend a third party component that will do the following please:

I'm looking for a component that can sit on our server (server A) and transfer files a second server (server B), every hour.

The second server (server B) is one of our Cloud based servers so the transfer will need to be via the Internet.

Thanks
Smeat

Why not just use an ftp script and call the script using a scheduled task?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Management have decided we can't use ftp (I don't know why). They want to use a web service.

I could just build my own but my manager has asked me to try and find a third party component rather than spend the time coding this up myself.

Smeat

Does it strictly have to be every hour?

You could use a service like DropBox or Google Drive (and if its sensitive information you don't want on other people's servers, you could use something like OwnCloud or BitSync). These are real-time syncing rather than every hour though.

Management have decided we can't use ftp (I don't know why).
They probably don't know why either, maybe some 'expert' has told them that FTP is "old" technology.

Or maybe they don't understand that FT doesn't always stand for Financial Times.

but my manager has asked me to try and find a third party component

Typical management, ... Spend £50 (or more) to save ten minutes writing a dozen lines of code or so.

Anyhow, take a look at PureSync if they want something that is a "set and forget" operation, though as anyone sensible would expect, it uses FTP/SFTP for remote backups.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Its possible they don't understand that when most people talk about FTP these days they really mean SFTP. Using vanilla FTP really isn't secure at all, no, but who actually uses vanilla FTP still?

use sourcecontrol SVN
I do this setup for my work. on the SERVER install Visual SVN SERVER (free) your scenario install it on SERVER B. create a folder name it whatever you want using Visual SVN. then on SERVERA download & install(tortoise SVN- free software. install it on SERVER B also)
once that is complete on SERVER A right click on a empty folder and click "checkout SVN" select the folder you created on SERVER B (in svn visual server) now you have a source control between the two servers through that folder. To send data from Server A to Server B : add anything you need in the Server A "folder" you checkout earlier. when you are ready to send right click on the "folder" commit. Once you have that working,
write a script to "svn commit" you can test it on cmd "look up this command not sure the attritube exactly" test the script when that works well. window schedule task it for every hr.
complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back