Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not showing up in address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwessell

Programmer
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hi,

I created a new user today in AD, and selected to have a Exchange mailbox created for them. However, they are not showing up in the address book (I found out, when trying to create a Exchange account in Outlook for them)..

We only use Exchange for Shared Calenders right now, and all I've ever done is create the mailbox, when creating the user in AD..

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
David

Are your clients setup in "cached exchange mode" ? I found that when I turned this on.... and created new users they would not show up in the global address list

I turned it off and sure enough my new users showed up in the global address List.

Just a thought

Hi... I tried the same thing, thinking that would be it.. But when setting up the user in Outlook, where you have to pick their name, they aren't showing up there either..

In the Exchange Systems Manager, I do not see their mailbox listed.. So it's almost as if their mailbox is not being created when I make the user in AD.. I deleted and recreated the user, but to no avail.

Inside of the properties of the AD user, I do see the normal Exchange Tabs, though..

Thanks
David

Hmm maybe health check of your Active Directory Domain might be the next step.

That cached exchange mode theory was my only pearl of wisdom.

Koz~

It can take a little while for the mailbox to be created depending on site locations and replication topology. Create the mailbox and give it 24 hours and see what happens.

Oulook not in cached mode... check.
If this is a brand new mailbox and the client has not logged in to use it, just send an email to the new mailbox, which will activate it....
Check the GAL for the clients dispaly name, you may have to wait a few minutes.

The client has logged in, and their name is not in GAL.

In fact, I don't have any users in GAL.. Remember, we only use Exchange for calender sharing.. All email is external..

The listing of Exchange accounts that I've been referencing is in the Exchange Systems Manager, under Servers -> First Storage Group -> Mailbox Store -> Mailboxes...

Thanks for all the suggestion, they are appreciated..

Thanks
David

I don't have any words of wisdom for you dwessell, but I have one user out of 406 that will not show up in the GAL. it's been weeks since the mailbox was originally created. I tried deleting the mailbox and creating it again and that hasn't worked either.

Did you check this KB article for your issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back