Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not showing full text in report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapunjara

MIS
Jun 28, 2007
Hello to everybody.

I have little problem I cannot figure out. I've made little application for needs of my business, and it works perfectly except one thing. The problem is next: when I want to open report, at the previous form I enter data which are needed for SELECT command. I save SELECT command in one module I named transition, and in one variable which is String type I hold my SELECT command. On On_Load method of Report I call "Me.Recorsource = Transition.select_command". Everything works fine, every field is populated, but fields that contain more text, the whole text is not showing. I can see only first, I don't know I didn't counted, but I think only first 255 characters, and the rest of the characters I dont know where it is. If someone can help me, I would be very grateful! Thanks in advance.

How are ya sapunjara . . .

Have a look at the [blue]Can Shrink/Can Grow[/blue] properties of a textbox . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

Hey TheAceMan1,

I tried it, but the problem is not in the size of the textbox. It is bigger than it needs to be, because my first suspicion was that it was too small. There is plenty of space in the textbox, but the text is cutted of in a half, I think there exists some property which says how big result from query can be, and I dont know where it can be set. Or there maybe exists some sort of constraint because I use for my recordsource only sql string, not querydef or anything else. For example, SELECT * FROM Catalog. When I run this query, I get good results. But when I put it into the recordsource property in on_load event, my text is cutted of.

Is the field included in any sorting or grouping? Memo fields have some restrictions in this respect.

I can see only first, I don't know I didn't counted, but I think only first 255
It sounds rather like you are using a field in your table that is set to the Text data type. The maximum size for text fields is 255 chrs.
If you need to store more than that, you'll need to use a Memo field.

Max Hugen
Australia

sapunjara . . .

Are the fields in the associated table [blue]text or memo?[/blue] . . . If text you need to change the data type to memo.

Note: you may have to reinherit the new data type.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

Hey to all,
First I want to thank you for your effort. Fields are of Memo type and they hold whole text, my problem is only when I want to display the data in the textbox control on report.

Memo fields can be truncated under certain circumstances. Does a form set up in a similar manner show the full text? Have you tried DLookUp?

Does the Report have a Table or a Query as its source?

If it's a query, does this show the full text when executed?

I assume from your statement
I can see only first... 255 characters
that you know that the field has more than 255 characters, and thus has to be a memo field. As Spenney and Remou have both mentioned in passing, memo fields can present problems when involved in certain type of data manipulation. Allen Browne has an excellent, terse tutorial listing the problems and workarounds for these problems at

Good Luck!

Linq

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks missingling, you've helped me a lot! That's the solution I needed. I've had to remove DISTINCT keyword from query because Access truncates query results.

I give you a star! If I've could I would give you more than one.

Bye

Glad you got it fixed!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back