Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not seeing Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyd380

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2004
US
I have just rplaced a Window 98 computer where an old G3 used to be. I hook the computer with the same CAT5 cable the mac was using but for some reason it will no see my network. I have a windows 2003 server and everytime I try to log on it says it can't find a domain server and I will not be able to use some network resources. Then after I get on to Windows it has a valid IP in winipcfg but can't see any of the network or get on the internet. It will not ping the server or router. I have tried assigning it an IP address and still nothing. I have tried 2 different nic's and same thing. I took the computer to a different location in the office and it works fine. Here is the weird part, the old G3 that was there before had no problem getting on the network or the internet. I also tested the cable and it test fine. What else could I try or what could be causing my problem?

Thanks for any help,

Bill

my first guess was maybe that port was set to a different speed/duplex than the others- (i.e. 10mbit/half duplex as opposed to 100/full)

but if it gets a current, valid IP address that sort of discounts that theory...is the win98 pc a new build? I guess what Im getting at is maybe its still showing an old dhcp lease from another location in the building?

Well I did switch the speed/duplex just to see if that was it from auto to 100Mb/Full and 100Mb/half and it didn't seem to do anything. As for the dhcp I can see that being an issue because when I go and release all and then renew all in winipcfg it says it can't find the dhcp server, however if I restart it will do one of two different things. It will either find the right dhcp server and get a valid IP or it will get an off the wall IP with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0. I am leaning toward the cable still and I might just run an all new one just to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion and if you have any other ideas up for anything, I really don't want to run a new cable.

Do you have a managed switch on the network? Is spanning tree enabled? If so set the end node to Fast Mode.

Spanning Tree operations on HP switches shuts communications off on a new connection so it can determine the MAC and IP of the connected device. This can interfere with DHCP operation and will result in strange subnet and other incorrect settings.

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

I replaced the cable and all is better now. That is the second time that cable has giving me some trouble. Needles to say it is now in the dumpster. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back