Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Responding and Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron02

Technical User
Jan 4, 2007
US
Just recently I started to edit things again, and I find that it freezes up and says that it is Not Responding. This happens very very often and I was just wondering if there was anything that I could do to fix that.

If so that would be great...thank you! :D

Are you by any chance trying to edit non-DV footage?

If so, what is the format and which version of Premiere are you using?

If not, say a little about your system.

I am using footage from DVD+RW...so Im not sure if that's DV footage or not.

I am using Adobe Premiere 6.5

My system is 1Gig of Ram, 140 GB Hard Drive, and I believe 3.2 Processor.

If you have taken footage off a DVD, it will likely be in MPEG format. Premiere 6.5 cannot edit MPEG footage on the timeline without buying a plug-in.

Use Virtual Dub (or whatever) to convert to DV AVI before trying to edit using Premiere, or buy a copy of Prenmiere Elements 3, which can edit this material natively.

I'm pretty sure it's in DV AVI format because when I export it to view what I have so far, the file says AVI.

Export out of Premiere will be determined by the export settings, not those of the clips.

You could try downloading GSpot, which will tell you the CODEC.

Ohh...alright, it is MPEG. Where would you say that I could get Virtual Dub from? I'd like to get it free if possible.

So...I converted it to AVI...and Premiere still shows up as Not Responding alot.

In that case you have not done it correctly. If you have an AVI file in DV format, Premiere will handle it OK. Use the Settings Checker in Premiere to see what is wrong with your format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back