Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not recieving outside email. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecomp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
US
We upgraded from exchange 2000 to 2003 and email was working fine. Then at some point our web developer install virtual smtp server in iis(which went missing after our 2003 upgrade) not sure if that has anything to do with this but thought i'd throw it out there. Now we can recieve/send internal email and send email out but we can't get outside email in to exchange.

We run symantec smtp gateway it recieves the email but returns and error 550 5.7.1 unable to relay.

We run windows 2000

I think I tried and went over everything but I cant figure this out. I even made exchange an open relay with no luck.

PLEASE HELP its getting critical

Are you still having issues? I don't know exactly how the Symantec SMTP Gateway works exactly, but I think this may be part of the issue.

We had a client who installed anti-spam software on his Exchange server and it proxied mail connections to the Exchange piece. The anti-spam software was listening on port 25, and it forwarded mail to Exchange which we moved to port 26 by modifying
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services. Check your SMTP Gateway software to see if it's trying to forward mail to a different port. My suspicion is Exchange is not listening on that new port. When vasquea1 asked what you got for a response when telnetting to port 25, I think (s)he was interested in the text of the response, as it what was actually listening on 25, SMTP or the Symantec gateway.

Does any of this help or at least make sense?

- gbiello

Yep still an issue and its driving me insane. I was forced into setting up an additional exchange server and moved all the email boxes to the new server inorder to get emails to come in since this is A1 priority for us.

Now on the new server the information store stops out of the blue every 24-48 hours lol.

To answer you question win I telnet into my original exchange server i get at the top "220 domain" but on the newly installed server I get "220 newserver.domain.com". So maybe this is my problem and if so how do i fix it??

If any of you guys need me to try something need more info or anything at all let me know.

Thanks for you replies

We had an issue with our information store closing out on us. The problem we found out was with our antivirus software. we used Mcafee group shield. The correction was having the Engine updated, using the superdat. After we did that upgrade the problem went away. I am not sure about your other Issues...

If it's like most other gateway virus scanners it listens on port 25, captures and scans, the forwards the email on to exchange using a DIFFERENT port (even when running on the same box).

This means that the port Exchange is listening on should be checked and matched to the port symantec is forwarding email to. The port has to be buried in the symantec config somewhere. There is a chance it could be 2225.

Within the gateway software you will need to ensure that the setting for your domain point to the accessable IP address of the Exchange server.
EG. companyname.com = 192.168.0.5

The on the exchange server ensure the IP address of the gateway server in permitted in the relay section, if you have 2 NIC's installed (front-end ann back-end) make sure the relay setting are set for the correct address.

Also if you have 2 NIC's, check the default gateway is set to the correct nic and persistant routes exist for the other if required.

Hope this helps

Andy

Actually we removed the gateway all together and still wasn't recieving outside email but internal still works fine. We only have one nic instastalled with our router pointed directly to the server.

Use NSlookup
>Nslookup
>set type=mx
>mycompany.com

You should get back the IP address of your mail server. try this external to your network as well, do you get the results you would expect.

Andy

Thanks for the help on this

Tried what you asked and recieved the correct ip addaress but gave me the following error

DNS request timed out
Time out was 2 seconds
***Request to server.domain.com time-out

Not sure if this is the problem where or how to fix it!

Don't worry about the error message as long as you got the right IP information regardin the MX that's all that counts, Did you get the same results when you did this externally to you network, (Ie. from Home)

Q. When you telnet to port 25 from the outside world inbound to your mail server, do you see the smtp header
info, or do you see a something like
220...200**************************..***********************..220**********************************,***********

I'm having somewhat the same issue. I checked DNSStuff and validated the MX record, then attempted to telnet into the
server port 25. Kicks me out every time.

Ran portqry and received the following report.

Starting portqry.exe -n 192.168.200.192 -e 25 -p TCP ...

Querying target system called:

Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

IP address resolved to pugetsound.office.local

querying...

TCP port 25 (smtp service): LISTENING

Data returned from port:

portqry.exe -n 192.168.200.192 -e 25 -p TCP exits with return code 0x00000000.

I had made some changes in the exchange server settings, but am having a senior moment and can't recall what I changed. To bad SBS doesn't have Restore Points like XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back