Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Receiving Emails from Specific Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamgc

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
IE
Hi

I have an exchange server that is receiving mails from certain domains and then not sending them to the users mailboxes. Does anyone know what is causing this.

Is there a security setting that I need to change?

any help is much appreciated!

thanks

They're being deleted by your spam filter perhaps?

Are the domains in your black or block lists?

How do you know they arrive?

Iain

There is no filter as far as I can see and how do I find the bloked or black lists?

The reason i know they get there was that last week i was altering other settings and emails from those domains for the last few months were suddenly delivered.

I had changed the ETRN/TURN Properties to request one but then it stopped sending outbound mail.

Can you see the messages in the Queues?

Iain

there is nothing appearing in the Queues

Are the recipients members of a distribution list? Is the distribution list email address (the "@domain.com" part) in your recipient policy?

Same questions above if it is a mail enabled security group.

Here's a test that I would perform.

Telnet to your mail server port 25 and use the SMTP commands to send an email to the address in question. Use an outside email address for the mail from: field.

Once you submit the message, you can use Exchange System Manger | Tools | Message Tracking to track your email. It will show how far the email got.

*ensure message tracking is enabled prior*

If you don't see any email tracks for this particular email then perhaps you have an anti-virus product installed such as that runs on Exchange to monitor mail going to/from the information store. If so, is that blocking it?

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help.

What had happened was we transferred the domain from one ISP to another and the original ISP didn't update their zone files so all emails for our domain that hit their servers were trapped there. As they are the biggest ISP in the country that was a big problem.

The reason they arrived previously is I polled the original mail server (by accident of course) and the emails were flushed to me.

again thanks for the help!

Are you performing RDNS lookups? If so, these domain you're not recieving may not have RDNS record entries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back