Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Ready on Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

LHCB

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
Tried formating a maxtor 60gig. Would only format 10 percent. Maxtor replaced drive with same type drive. Drive partioned OK and formated OK. Loaded win 2000 OK. Found out I needed win98 on machine. When I go to reformat I get 5 percent and I comes up with Not Ready Format Terminated. Tried Removing the Primary partion and readding the primary partion, which verified OK and still only format 5 percent before format terminates . Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

You are using Fdisk & Format commands from a Win98 boot floppy? You removed partition you installed 2k on and created a new one? And its failing to format this? If this is all true, I'd suggest booting from win2k install CD and getting that to create and format FAT32 partition for you (as that presumably worked before) - which it does before copying any files. When format finished, turn PC off before it starts file copy. Now boot from win98 install CD and choose install option (should be fine with FAT32 partition created by 2k install).

Thanks I'll try when I get home tonight Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

Well that's not the answer. I can't format with win2000 either as ntfs of fat32. Win2000 see it as unformated or Damaged but will not format it. I can't understand how it can verify and create a partion and it can find the partion to start format and install of win2k but not format. It's a new drive from Maxter it "should be good" but there's always the posiblity of another bad drive. Can anyone think of another reason, bad battery, mother board, ribbon? Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

Hi there LHCB

Bad battery,motherboard,bad ribbon cable- all of these things can cause that.So,presuming you've checked these,did you run Fdisk on it again or do you want an NTFS partition?
I'm a little confused as to whether you've tried fdisk on it? Have you?
Bad ribbon cables are a common problem,if they are old or affected by heat or brittle.They can crack and cause a break in connection. Are you using an 80wire cable or what? Check the tops of the IDE connectors.Sometimes they can come adrift and the cable lifts from the little spikes.If so,you can either stick it back on properly or get a new cable.They don;t cost much.

Does the drive detect ok in bios? That's another thing you can check.

Let us know how you go.

CYA

PAUL

HAve done a fdisk to recreate partion OK. I am trying to reform in FAT32 to install Win98. I am going to pickup a new battery and ribbon cabler today on the way home and try that. Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

Here's a new twist. I can boot on A and I can go to the C: drive but If I try to format C from the A drive I get drive not ready abort retry or fail ? Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

Sounds like the drive is really screwed up now! Do a low level format with something like Power Quest DrivePro, then boot up on the A: drive with your WIN98 SE boot disk. Partition and format drive as if it was brand new out of the box.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thanks I'll try anything at this point. I don't have Power Quest But I can look for it. Is it sharware? I was thinking of using Maxtors Maxblaster to do a partion and format next. I am getting a new battery tonight just to be sure.
Thanks again; ANY AND ALL SUGESSIONS ARE WELCOME!!!!! Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

There's a low-level format (& diagnostic) utility on Maxtor's website (Powermax). If you can get Maxblast to work - some people have had problems installing windows on disks formatted with Maxblast. So I'd definitely try low level format & fdisk first.

I'm more of a UNIX geek. What is and where can I get a low level format utility. Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

If you had a Linux RED HAT install disk it could put a fat32 partition or a NTFS partition on the drive also. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks for all the help but I finally proved to Maxter that the boot sector on the drive was bad. They are replacing it...Another week DOWN. Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back