Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not-read receipt received from user not on distribution list

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjoop

Programmer
Jun 9, 2001
US
One of my users (UserA) is receiving read receipts saying the message was deleted without having read it from another user (UserB), a former system admin, even though he (UserB) was not on the original message's distribution list. I have checked forwarding lists, etc. but can not find any reason that he would have received these e-mails.

Where should I start checking about this?

Sounds Like your ex admin is reading other peoples mail via his outlook.

Potentially he still has admin rights or explicit rights to the mailbox

Check ADUC and see which groups ex admin is a member of. If this all looks ok, ie no admin groups, have User A open outlook, right click inbox, properties and see who has permission to his inbox. If that all looks ok, have a look at User A's account in ADUC, exchange advanced tab, mailbox rights button. If ex admin's name appears here, remove it.

Thanks for the reply, paulha. I checked these, and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I think I will have UserA change his password. This almost seems that UserB is checking UserA's mail using his password.

Hmm, If he was logging in as userA, the read receipts would not be issued as userB (ex admin)

Ill have a think about it and see if I can come up with anything

Was there any update on this issue? I am having simialr problems where one user gets one message back in 2002 saying that this message was deleted without being read. User gets the same message from the same person. The sending user does not have this in the sent items or deleted items.

Thanks,

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back