Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Network Management, Network Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb3cgj

ISP
Jan 30, 2003
US
There is always a lot of buzz about Network Management, which software is good, which is easy, and what works.

We are a cisco shop, so I manage through telnet, basically I don't need software to manage. I just need to monitor, lately I have been limping along with mon.d and mrtg as my complete arsenal of tools, well times are changing and those are not getting it done.

I am playing with Ipswitch's WhatsUP Gold and it has most of the features I am looking for, but it is missing a couple of the most important things I need.

I like the graphical mapping and the web-based access to it, but it doesn't run as a service and I don't see where it monitors traffic patterns either. It doesn't even seem to support thresholds for bandwidth hogs.

I am looking for a software package that can monitor each interface of the routers I have and graph traffic through the interfaces and even graph traffic through each port of our cisco switches. I know it can be done with SNMP because it is defined in the MIB's for cisco's equipment.

I would also like the software to monitor up and down status of the devices although that is not as important.

After writing this I am looking for a Real-TIme version of MRTG.

Does anyone have any suggestions for software. I am interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on such a software. Any developers that read this, I am sure I am not the only one looking for something like this. $$$

Thanks,
Nick Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net

Hello Nick,

If u just want to monitor network, than u can use Paessler Traffic Monitoring software it runs as a service and is also easy to use compared to MRTG.

Darshan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back