Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not enough room to print Long Memo field in a report 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddiekg

Programmer
Oct 13, 2009
MY
Dear everyone,

I have a memo field that has various length, it could be just one line or as long as 500 lines of information that should print out as a multiple pages report.

Currently, I put the memo field at the "Detail" band and it cannot print all the information for the long memo. How can I make it to continue to print the rest at the 2nd or 3rd pages?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

In addition to using the "Stretch With Overflow" as Mike suggests, you might consider, prior to sending the data to the Report Form, splitting the memo field contents into 2 or more smaller fields and print the values separately.

One way to do this is to create a data set just for report printing.

SELECT *,;
LEFT(MemFld,120) as FirstMem,;
SUBSTR(MemFld,121,120) as SecndMem,;
SUBSTR(MemFld,241,120) as ThrdMem;
FROM MyTable;
WHERE <your selection criteria>;
NOCONSOLE;
INTO CURSOR RptData

SELECT RptData
REPORT FORM MyRpt NOCONSOLE TO PRINT

SELECT RptData
USE

If you were to do this, you might also want to use the "Print When..." expression to suppress printing if the Mem component was empty.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

jrbbldr,

you wouldn't want to split 500 lines of text Freddie mentions into seperate char fields.

I'd think stretch with overflow should work fine.

You could also think about header / group header settings, eg if those should be printed repeatedly or not.

Bye, Olaf.

JRB-Bldr,

The problem with splitting the memo into two or more separate fields is that you will no longer get a proper flow of text. There won't be any proper wordwrap between the fields, and you risk breaking the text in the middle of a word.

Also, I can't really see the point of it.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

I would change the report a little dramatically!

Change the underlying data (table, cursor or whatever) to hold each line of the memo as a record then use that as the detail for the report - moving up any grouping to support what you have in the details now.

That way, assuming your text word wraps nicely - as Mike says - it will all be printed.

B-)

Good luck.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Stretch with overflow has always worked for me, why would I want to break my memo field into two? As Mike says, that just leaves me with the problem of making sure that I don't break a word - or a line - between the two fields.

Geoff Franklin

Dear all,

With your helps and inputs, now, I can store all the emails information in the "Archive" folders into DBF. Those archived emails will be deleted or moved to a remote server. My question is is it possible to write a VFP program automatically move those archived email to a different outlook .pst file in the remote server and also delete it from the original "Archive" folder?

If this is possible, then I programmatically switch the outlook .pst file within the VFP apps when the users want to view the archieved emails just like the originals.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Freddie

You need to start this as a new question

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Freddiekg,

You've posted the same question (about the archive folder) in at least three different places. I know you're anxious for a reply, but there is really no point in duplicating questions in this way.

Also, it's not a good idea to tag a question onto the end of a thread that's related to something else. Doing so make things difficult, both for those who might answer the question and those who are looking for answers to similar problems.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. I'm sure you're not doing it deliberately. It just needs a moment's thought before you compose your message.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Dear all,

Sorry for the problems. I will be more careful next time.

Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

Regards,
Freddie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back