Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not enough ptty

Status
Not open for further replies.

juggers

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
SA
hello<br>I use Solais 2.6 with a SparcII platform.&nbsp;&nbsp;Users usually login through Telnet, i started to get this message more often. not enough ptty!!!!, what is that for ?<br>thanks in advance

Well, it happened to me once :)))<br>Just restart the system !!! it works

Boutros: your problem lies in that you have used all your pseudo ttys (ptty´s). <br><br>You can therefor only run a limited number of xterms or perhaps xterm doesn´t work at all?<br><br>use &quot;mkdev ptty&quot; to increase the number of ptty´s<br><br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto:soren.danielsson@liv.se>soren.danielsson@liv.se</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Pls can you inform me on the way to add more ppty's.<br>Best Regards

hi Nostradamus,<br>About this ptty matter finally i was able to solve that it is a bit complicated but here is the solution:<br>Increasing ptys is accomplished by editing the /etc/system<br> file using the following syntax:<br> <br> set pt_cnt=128<br> <br> A reboot with the -r option is necessary to create the new devices.&nbsp;&nbsp;The following commands can be used to create the new devices:<br><br> # drvconfig<br> # devlinks<br>To verify the number of ptys so the following<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp; # cd /dev<br> # ls pty* ¦ wc -l<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; # cd /dev/pts<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;#ls <br> <br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back