Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not enough memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicktttt

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US

I have formated c:, reinstalled win98, have no programs open and I click on a desktop icon andI am get 'not enough menory to run ...'

What now!! every minute another problem

Dick

The 'not enough memory to run ...' error usually means not enough hard disk space for temporary files. This is a common problem following a re-install as loads of installers have just left their temporary files in place instead of cleaning up nicely afterwards.

The default folder for temporary files in Windows 9.x is C:\Windows\Temp. Delete everything inside the folder, not the folder itself, then re-boot.

I always re-direct temporary files to make cleaning easier and because I don't like my users having to wander around inside the Windows system folder (in case they delete the wrong files).

If you want to do this just create a folder called 'Temp' in the root of C: then add the following to autoexec.bat.

Code:
SET TEMP = C:\TEMP
SET TMP = C:\TEMP

After re-booting Windows will re-direct all temporary files to this folder instead of C:\Windows\Temp.

Hope this helps...

You can also get a "Not enough memory...." error if you have too much memory on the system.

What are the specs on the computer?

cyoung

I built it myself

syntax mb
amd 1800 cpu
500 mg
win 98

need anything else

2nd computer identical except hd, no problems

Dick

Rick998

I deleted contents of temp folder but I still get 'not enough memory delete some programs' (no programs are open)

This is a real problem

Dick

Sorry but I'm a little confused by the '500 mg' specification.

Is this RAM or hard disk?

If it's RAM (500Mb) then the maximum amount of memory Win98 can handle in theory is 2GB so this should be fine.

If it's hard disk space (500Mb) then this could well be the problem depending on what other stuff is installed.

What size hard disk is in the identical PC (except for HD) that runs with no problems?

Hope this helps...

Rick998

500 MG RAM HD 17GIG

ALL DRIVES (I SWIPE THEM IN AND OUT) NO PROBLEM 40/80/120/200/25

THANKS

DICK

Mmm... If you're using Windows 98 (is it SE?), have 500Mb RAM, have cleared out C:\Windows\Temp and have lots of free hard disk space on a variety of hard disks (from 17Gb upwards) then I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest next.

Rick998

So am I. But I hope someone will hit on an answer.

Yes, win98se

Remember, only the 17gig has this 'not enough memory.

When swapped out the others work fine in the same computer.

So it has to be a drive problem or a softwarw problem.

And I reinstalled win98se.

Dick

As a matter of interest, how much free hard disk space is there on the 17Gb hard disk after you've installed Win 98 SE and any programs you want to use?

Rick,
Since you mentioned that Windows 98 can handle up to 2GB in theory, you may want to read this to understand that it will never happen! In fact, most are lucky to get beyond 512MB without problems:
faq615-2438

Dick,
If it's only happening with one hard drive and you've tried reinstalling Windows, then I'd have to ask you:

1) When you reinstalled Windows, did you format the entire drive and install Windows from scratch?

2) How many partitions do you have on this drive? Just one?

3) What do you have the virtual memory (page file) set at? Make sure you don't have this disabled.

4) After you do a clean install, don't install any 3rd-party apps except for the one giving you trouble. You said the error comes up when clicking an icon on your desktop, but what is the name of that program?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg

No
Yes one partition
Error comes when I click on ANY icon

Thanks

Dick

If you didn't install Windows from scratch, then that's your problem. Reinstalling Windows on top of itself rarely does anything to fix things, especially if the problem is in the registry. A "clean" install gives you a fresh new registry.

Is there a reason why you haven't answered question 3 from above?

We also need to know how much free space you have on the 17GB drive, which is what Rick asked.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg

The reason is that I pulled the 17gig to work on another drive and could not check specs.

17 gig has 2 and a half gig free

internet file folder 8324 mb

virtual - I have 'let win manage...'

Thanks again

Dick

OK, judging from what I can see, I'd have to say the problem is within Windows. There might be a corrupt registry setting.

You have several good options. The quickest is to buy a copy of Registry Mechanic (you can trial it on That software is amazing when it comes to detecting and repairing corrupt registry entries. Though this is good to have, there's no guarantee it's going to solve the issue.

If you haven't done so already, upgrade to Internet Explorer to version 6.0 SP1. A lot of "windows explorer" issues can be solved this way, which installs new mappings in the registry. If you already have 6.0 installed, do a repair.

The last and most thorough option of course is to format the drive and do a clean install.

~cdogg

cdogg

Thanks

I will let you know if it works.

As far as the register repair;
I have Norton's and
System Mechanic 6

I have used both still have the problem.

Dick

I am trying to reinstall or repair windows 98 on a machine with a different copy of windows than what was used to install the original 98 on this machine. It keeps telling me that my key is in valid when it is the key for the disk Im using what can i do????? kenny45_67333@hotmail.com

kenny45

You need to start a new thread.

But let me say that perhaps if you uninstall the old win then reinstall, it might take the key.

Dick

With your help I have solved my problem.

The new 1gig memory I installed may be too fast for my MB,

I replaced it with the old 256mg strip and the problem went away.

Strange though, the 1gig worked for 6mo no problem.

Maybe it is not the higher speed but it just went bad.

I emailed ultra and am waiting for a reply

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back