Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not enough memory to show all

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybunter

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
GB
Can any one help

I am getting the error message "Not enough memory to show all" whith an excel spread sheet can any one help? Its has about 6 sheets but isnt as big as some the spreadsheets that I have and they have no problem?

when you try and perform WHAT action exactly

Generally, the quality of response is directly proportional to the quality of question !

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

It happens sometimes when i open it but most of the time its when I save it.

And what do you have in these 6 sheets ??
numbers ?? formulae ?? pivottables ?? charts ??
Is there any VBA ??

Gimme something to work with here...

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Geoff,
Work on your people skills.

BillyBunter,
There are internal limits in Excel for formula memory.

Excel 95, Excel 97 and Excel 2000 are limited to 64MB
Excel 2002 is limited to 128MB
Excel 2003 is limited to 64MB 1 Gig

babbaredneck - tell me that again when you've answered >7000 questions here and see a question like the one above. I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet but after a while, I see this kind of question asking as laziness

This is a set of forua for professionals - that includes the people asking the questions. I don't think it is too much to ask that if you want a qustion answered, you provide a full set of relevant data about the issues

Rgds, Geoff

I used to get this sort of thing a lot after moving, inserting etc a lot of data in a largish 'database'. Sometimes it seemed that I had to quit excel, perhaps re-boot the pc before I would regain all the memory that had been 'lost'. I suspected that it was also linked to using another (old) application earlier in the session. So could it be linked to something you have been doing before the problem occurred, maybe nothing to do with Excel?

Otherwise you could be suffering from 'spreadsheet bloat' or just a very large spreadsheet.

As Geoff said - "what sort of things do you have in the workbook? numbers ?? formulae ?? pivottables ?? charts ??
Is there any VBA ??...are there links to other workkbooks...

On each sheet hold Ctrl and press End. That will take you to the 'last cell'. If this takes you well to the right of the last column in use or well below the last cell then that could be contibuting to the issue.

Other things to consider:
Tools,Options,calculation,SaveExternalLinkValues
With pivot tables: Options,SaveData with table layout
Can any formulae be copied, pastespecial, values?
Ditto for Pivottables/charts
Delete any obsolete named ranges - especially if these refer to other workbooks

Consider copying your data to a new workbook for a clean start.

Thanks,

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back