Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not enough free space to create x86 boot fdisk partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 12, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am trying to install Solaris 8 on a Compaq desktop. I already have Windows XP on the disk. The total disk size is 40GB, XP is on c: (15GB) and system_sav is D: (5GB). I have around 20 GB free space and am installing Solaris 8. The intial partitioning works fine(allocated 10 GB for it,i have set the swap disk slice as default and at the begining of the disk).......when it comes to installing the operating system environment it gives me the above error....can someone help me out with this?

Have you created a /boot partition for the boot files, this will need to be separate from the / partition?

Thanx for your response. I had started the install using Solaris Web Start(Installation disk) and it creates two partition i.e x86 of 10MB(it takes this value by default) and a Solaris Partition(for which i specify the size). I can see these two partitions in fdisk. After giving the remaining info. regarding the setup when it trys to copy the OS i get the above error.
Can u give me some more info on creating the /boot partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back