Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not discovering workstations using subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsieloff

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
I fear every step during my installation of SMS2003 will be difficult.

I have test SMS2003 server setup, Schema extended, no errors in system status. The domain is ADTEST. Our corp network is 10.100.x.x. Every remote site is using its own class B, i.e. LA=10.110.x.x. All workstations sit in 10.100.60.x. In my corp site I have been trying to discover all computers in 10.100.60.x by subnet range. This would include all workstations in the ADTEST domain and our production domain... call it PRODDOMAIN (they both sit on the same network.

under site properties:
Site boundries / IP subnet = 10.100.60.0
Roaming Boundries / IP subnet = 10.100.60.0

under network discovery:
subnets=10.100.60.0/255.255.255.0
10.100.0.0/255.255.0.0 auto populated with a lock icon next to it
domains = <null>

I have not been able to discover any workstation via IP subnet, but as soon as I used the 'active directory system discovery' discovery method my collections populated right away. I would like to discover by subnet, does anyone see a problem with my setup?
... Thanks

UPDATE: I still have not discovered any workstations. This morning I reconfigured the subnet discovery to 10.100.0.0/255.255.0.0. I then changed the site boundry to 10.100.0.0.
The problem I have with this is that I will not find any workstations until 10.100.60.x which is 15014 IP's away, thus flooding my network with discovery packets. Although, I don't believe discovery is even being kicked off. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Hmmm, as long as you have all of the 'Enable Network Discovery' options checked everything looks OK. I don't know your SMS IQ (no offense), so let me make sure you've looked at a couple of things.

1) How are your collections built? It's possible your collection is based off of data that isn't collected via network discovery. I believe O/S is one of them.

2) If you're sure your collections are built correctly try doing a manual update of the collections. Right-click on the collection name, Update Tasks, Update Collection Membership.

3) Check your discovery schedule. Initially, set it to kick off every few minutes, but BEFORE you do this, do step 4.

4) Start Performance Monitor and add counters to monitor the SMS Data Discovery Manager object. When a discovery is run DDRs are collected and placed in a folder (I think it's the ddr.box folder, but I'm not sure). Data Discovery Manager takes the DDRs and writes the data to the SQL database. The monitor should show you whether or not the manager is processing DDRs.

Let me know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back