Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not connecting to the internet, but can see the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskhs

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I bought a Belkin 4 port wireless router. I have set it up to share a DSL connection between 2 machines the main machine is wired directly to the router which is wired to the DSL modem. I have set up both machines to recieve its IP address from the router (DHCP) which they do. Both IP address are in the specified range. When I try to access the internet on the main computer ....no problem connects right away and away we go. The other computer has a wireless card installed its has excelent signal it recognizes the wireless net work, gets its IP address but when connection to the internet, I get the page cannot be displayed window. I can go into network neighbor hood and see both machines I can ping one from the other and vice versa.....what am I missing? any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Do you use IE? And if so, did you access the net with it and a modem before?

If so, it may be that you have to change the settings in IE to access the internet with your LAN connection. I believe you can use the wizzard, or do it manually. You may only need to click the 'automatically detect settings' under the LAN Setting (a button you can click on the Connections tab). Try having a play with the settings and see what happens.

Does the WiFi client have a wire based NIC in it in addition to the WiFi NIC? If so use WINIPCFG or IPCONFIG to /RELEASE the IP connection from the wire based NIC the /RELEASE & /RENEW the IP connection from the WiFi NIC.

No the client only has the wifi card, I think walrus might be on the right track the machine did access the net via modem before, also something that came to my mind is the machine that the router is attached to has virus software that may have a firewall option i didnt look at it that closely, im going over there today to check it out, if anyone had any other ideas i would still like to hear them. (just in case)

Thanks

the net via modem

The modem may be holding an IP address and acting like a 2nd NIC. Use WinIPcfg or IPConfig to check.

Walrus's idea is equally good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back