Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Connected to a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
Since installing F Secure, anti virus I can no longer access my home network. I have truned the firewall off, removed the AV software but still no luck with access.

What do I do next to try and solve the problem?

Keith

Restored to factory default and that has solved the problem.

If I set a restore point, once I have loaded my files, is the factory restore point still available?

Keith

Not sure what you mean, by factory restore point. All restore points should remain active,they just might not remain viable. You might have to select, show more restore points in the interface to see them. As to a factory restore partition on the hard drive, that is something totally different, and only a bad hard drive will loose that, or someone mucking with the hidden partition.

If the factory restore partition is hidden then I assume that it cannot be altered.
I didn't really word the question very well. If I create several restore points, are they all available or just the last one. I hope that makes a bit more sense.

Keith

they will all be available, just that it may only show the last few. You have to select show me more restore points to see them all. Better to do a backup once in awhile and not rely on a restore point, as it won't save you if there is a virus, or malware, or a problem with the drive, or corruption.

Restore points are created in a sizeable area set aside for them. When that area fills up the oldest restore points get overwritten. It is not unusual to have restore points going back months but really you only need to keep them for a week or two in a practical sense as going back months in time may be a bit silly. You can use Disk Cleanup to maintain this collection of restore points.

How to Change Maximum Disk Space Used by System Protection and System Images in Windows 8

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

These options are built-in to Windows 8 also.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

How to create a custom refresh image in Windows 8

How to create a system image to refresh your Windows 8 PC

Thanks very much.
It seems that this side of windows is very well thought out, as is the speed of the whole thing.

My main gripe is all operation is centered around the Mickey Mouse Metro Screen and an abundance of all but useless apps. I do not want music, films, chatter, twitter or any of the options available, why can I just not simply turn it off? If the Mickey Mouse Metro screen is so important to everyone, why is it not easily customisable? You can change the colours to presets but the graphics cannot easily be changed.

Keith

If you don't want to see something on the Metro screen, you can get rid of it. For apps that you'll never use, right-click the icon, then click Uninstall at the bottom of the screen. If you're unsure whether you'll use it, but don't want to see it there, right-click and unpin it. Then you can pin the apps that you do want to use.
Once you set up the Metro screen with your commonly used apps, you can use it the same way as you'd use a start menu.

Thanks Larena, I know how to unpin the apps etc. but I do not want the Metro screen at startup, I want to start at the Desktop. I know it is only a single click but why can I not just turn off what I don't use?
Why do I not like the Mickey Mouse Metro screen?
If I launch a web browser from there, it does not have a menu visible, something I use a lot. There is no Home Page button, something I use a lot.
Every time I launch an app, I have to wait for some childish graphiic to appear and take over the screen until the app loads.
That is just the tip of the iceberg with regard to how this ridiculous graphic interface prevents efficient work flow.
If people are happy using it, I don't have a problem with that - just let me turn the dammed thing off!

Keith

Windows 8.1 lets you start straight at the Desktop Screen, so that is coming, you just have to be patient.

This is my standard guide to those new to Windows 8. Do with it whatever you wish.

Try using Windows 8 as near as possible to Windows 7 by using the Desktop App and running it like Windows 7 Desktop minus the Start Menu and Button. You can even get third party programs that will make it look and feel like Windows 7 but I don't bother with, or recommend, such programs.

The easiest thing to do is to place commonly used programs shortcuts on the Desktop via creating Shortcuts to those programs.

You can practice with the Apps later as you gain confidence. Right-click on the App's Tile to see various options available beside running the App.

I use my Windows 8 the same way I used Windows 7 and other earlier operating systems, the Apps are something I play with when I'm bored. I install all my own programs that I want to run in Windows 8, things like Office, Win Zip, Games, and other common programs etc. and launch from shortcuts on the Desktop.

It will help you to see this .pdf document too.

Virtually Every Windows 8 Shortcut Available (well so far...).pdf

When in any App, the Windows Key + i will give you all the options available to the opened App. Close any App by dragging (the top of it) down to the bottom of the screen, or try Alt + F4.

Microsoft to reboot Windows 8 to address gripes

Linney said:
Windows 8.1 lets you start straight at the Desktop Screen, so that is coming, you just have to be patient.
Patience has nothing to do with it, they are back tracking because they now realise it was badly designed in the first place.

Linney said:
Try using Windows 8 as near as possible to Windows 7 by using the Desktop App and running it like Windows 7
I never used Windows 7, I came straight from XP as that was the last version which worked as I wanted to rather than how some not very talented designer decided I should work.

Linney said:
The easiest thing to do is to place commonly used programs shortcuts on the Desktop via creating Shortcuts to those programs
This was default behaviour in the much better designed previous versions.

Linney said:
You can practice with the Apps later as you gain confidence
These Apps are nothing new, they are simply programs or in many cases links to websites trying to flog me stuff. I do not need to develop confidence to use 'Apps' as I have been using and writing programs for well over 20 years.

Linney said:
I install all my own programs that I want to run in Windows 8, things like Office, Win Zip, Games, and other common programs etc. and launch from shortcuts on the Desktop.
This is the way we have been doing it since 1992 and the launch of Windows 95. Subsequent versions of Windows have made significant improvements and added additional features. Recent versions seem to have forgotten what the purpose of Windows is and decided to tailor it to those who only require it as a launch pad for mind numbing entertainment apps on their tablets and phone screens. There are still a lot of workers and designers using Windows computers for actual work and these unwanted side shows are just obstacles preventing work being done.

The First 25 Years of Windows

Keith

You can read XP where I mention Windows 7.

I didn't mean to rub you up the wrong way, sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back