Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to send email when there is no smtp on exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2003
US
Let me know if I should post on the exchange 5.5 forum.

I have an intranet site being used for help desk requests.
When a ticket is comlpete it's submitted to the database as nonactive and an email is sent to the person who started the request.

Here is the code for the email;

<%
If Request.Form("submit").Count > 0 and Request.Form("active")= "1" Then

Set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objMessage.Subject = "TSR is complete"
objMessage.Sender = "Martin_Door_Intranet"
objMessage.to = Request.Form("email")
objMessage.TextBody = " TSR #" & Request.Form("MM_recordId") & " submitted on " & Request.Form("Request_Date") & " has been closed." & vbCrLf & "Thank You," & vbCrLf & "The IT Team"
objMessage.Configuration.Fields.Item _
(" = 2
(" = "mail"
(" = 25
objMessage.Configuration.Fields.Update
ON ERROR RESUME NEXT
objMessage.Send
If err.number then
Response.Write("The email address is invalid. Correct the problem and submit again." & vbCrLf)
Response.End
end if
ON ERROR GOTO 0
Set objMessage = Nothing
End If
%>

the problem is some people don't have access to recieve incoming emails from outside the network, which means they don't have an smtp entry on their mailbox. However they can recieve internal email with only the x400 entry (example; c=US;a= ;p=Martin Door MFG.;o=MDM;s=RicRob;).

My web server and email server are both internal, so I tried changing this (objMessage.to = Request.Form("email")) to this (objMessage.to = c=US;a= ;p=Martin Door MFG.;o=MDM;s=RicRob;), But i got the error message.

Any ideas on sending emails from an ASP page to a non smtp exchange mailbox?

P.S. I can only send email to my local domain from the page...Why is that?

Thanks,
Dan

So you want to send using an SMTP server to an invalid SMTP address?

I suppose... We have an exchange 5.5 server (smtp server) with about 150 mailboxes. only half of them have an smtp entry. which means half the company can receive outside mail and the whole company can email each other. When the page uses objmessage.to it acts like an outside email so half the company can't receive the automatic email saying their trouble ticket has been closed.

How does outlook send emails through exchange when there isn't a valid smtp entry?

Thanks,
Dan

Im not sure about the newer versions but in the old days it used something called MAPI to talk to Exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back