Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to recognize 60GB space

Status
Not open for further replies.

vistor

Technical User
Dec 22, 2000
US
Hi all!

I am trying to install the NT 4.0 on the system.
while i put the CD and try to format the system it says it has only 8GB hard disk space..is there is any limitation NT 4.0 won't recognize more that 8GB ..what may the issue ..
previosly i had 98 it shows it has 60 GB ...please advice

Thanks,

to to format it with NTFS first..it should see it after that.

Actually this is a limitation of the Microsoft supplied generic IDE driver (Atapi.sys) supplied with NT. This is corrected in Service Pack 4 and after you apply sp4 you will be able to see all 60 gigs. You can also change the IDE driver during install as well and that is described in this article.

Thanks a lot ephol for the information

Depending on the BIOS of the motherboard, you can only see the first 8Gb max of the primary boot partition. The only way around this is create a secondry partition for your data or using a smallish boot disk and then use your 60Gb drive for data. You will never get to see your drive as a single disk in NT4 whatever SP you're on, and if you don't use at least SP3 you won't even see that 60Gb either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back