Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not able to receive mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreikun

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
Hello again. I have a remote sendmail server set up apart from the DNS server which contains the zone file for my virtual domain (virtualdomain.com). I would like to have this remote server handle all the mail sent to virtualdomain.com. I created a new .mc file with all the necessary features (virtusertable, genericstable, etc) on the remote server and I have set the MX in the zone file for virtualdomain.com(DNS server) to point to my remote server.

Now heres where im stuck. I am able to send and receive mail when i send it from the command line of the remote server (localhost). however, when i try to send mail to user@virtualdomain.com from my hotmail account, it will not show up in the 'user' mail spool in the remote server.

The genericstable and virtusertable seem to be working fine. When I send out mail from the remote servers command line (sendmail -t) the genericstable is doing its job. likewise for the virtusertable as well. sending thru the command line on the remote server will put that mail into the correct users mail spool. however, when i send mail from an outside area, it doesnt seem to work.

can anybody give me any suggestions on what might be going wrong here?

--thanks,
REI

If your mail server is not receiving mail from the outside world, check sendmail.mc. Look for a line that says:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp, Addr=172.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

This tells sendmail to only look at the loopback device for incoming mail (a security thing). Change the loopback ip with your internet ip and it should start working.

Hello RhythmAce. My .mc file I created to generate my sendmail.cf file didnt have the line DAEMON_OPTIONS('port=smtp,ADDR=(my internet ip),Name=MTA')dnl for me to modify. So I tried adding it to my .mc file and generated a new .cf file, replaced the old .cf with the new one and restarted sendmail. however, im running into the same problem.

To give you more details on what Im doing exactly: I have two servers. the DNS server whose fqdn is and another linux box whose server name is that i want to use as a sendmail server for a virtual host (virtualdomain.com).

Up until now, I had the virtual host for virutaldomain.com all set up on the DNS server including setting up sendmail for the virtualdomain.com by creating a new .mc file with the necessary features(ie: virtusertable, genericstable, etc). this was working out just fine.

Now, Id like to set up my second linux box ( to handle just the mail that is sent to virtualdomain.com.

So far, I moved the sendmail.cf along with the virtusertable.db, genericstable.db, access.db, sendmail.cw, generics-domain, etc. that was working fine on the DNS server to my second linux box so that the settings are extactly the same as when it was on the DNS server. Then I modified the zone file for virtualdomain.com located in the DNS server so that the MX is set to
After restarting named on the DNS server and sendmail in the second linux box, i attempted to send mail to user@virtualdomain.com from hotmail. however, that mail never ends up in 'user's mail spool.

The genericstable and virtusertable seem to be working because Im able to successfully send and receive mail only within the localhost on the command line (sendmail -t) and the virtusertable is correctly putting that mail in the correct mailbox. and when i send mail out to my hotmail account from the command line, the From: is correctly changed to what i set it to in the genericstable.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--REI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back