Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to ping Stack IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ports

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
AE
Hi,
We have a set of baystack 450's,460's in a stack, in which,Baystack 460 serves as the base unit and 4x 450's for connecting to the user PC's.

I am not able to ping the stack IP but the stack is working fine as i am able to ping all PC's and servers connected to this stack.

I have configured this as a hybrid stack.

All, info on getting this working would be great.

Thanks,
FG.

another thought.
The IP of the stack is in the same subnet as the management VLAN on the switch, RIGHT?

Hi 1911man,
What u suggest is already enabledn on the passport,
i.e the IP stackIPis on the management VLAN and in the same subnet , also Tagging is enabled on the truck ports of both the passport and the Switch stack.

Regards,
FG.

If you absolutely can not get to the management, default the switches, remove the SMLT and all VLANs, go back to a single uplink, and go from there.

If, after going back to an a-typical switch stack, you can ping it, reapply your SMLT and VLAN's...if it breaks, then there is a problem with how you are configuring it.

Hi Jynxx,
I guess ur right. I will the config from scratch and see if it works.
I will keep u guys posted if it works.

Also, i would like to metion that, i have 3 such hybrid stacks, with the combination of 450's and 460's and none seem to work.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Regards,
FG.

Just my two pennies...

Check the code rev on the other stacks...I bet they are running an older version of code. I vaguely recall reading something about not being able to remotely manage switches unless you were on the management VLAN (no routing to the management VLAN). I'll try to find the release notes or manual reference.

One thing to try...can you ping the switch from other switches on the network that are on the management VLAN? Use the built-in PING function to test.

Because you state that the MAC is in the ARP table of the 8600, you know that layer 2 is working...this leaves it to be the issue above, a tagging issue or a routing issue.

Ray

Hi

Umm, if the PC isn't on the management VLAN, you cant ping the stack. That's how it should be.

/Niklas

-Cheers, Niklas

Niklas is correct , if the PC isn't in the same VLAN as the stack management the only way to get them to talk is to route between
the VLANS , that's one of th reasons you use VLANS , to seperate
broadcast domains . Test connectivity by pinging from the stack to
the gateway IP on the management VLAN that youve configured
on the 8600, then ping a gateway on another VLAN . From a PC
on another VLAN, can you ping or tracert to the management VLAN
gateway or subnet ? Is the subnet in the 8600 routing table ?

---paulg

Hi,
The stack has 3 VLAN's defined. This stack is uplinked to the Passport 8600( For Inter VLAN routing).
The PC's connected to this Switch Stack can Ping all other PC's and Servers in my Network, but cannot ping the management IP of the switch. Infact No PC's in my network can Ping this Switch Stack. Also management IP for this stack present in the Passport routing table.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

which of the 3 VLANs is the management VLAN? What is the IP range of that VLAN? what is the IP of the stack?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The Switch Stack has the following VLAN's defined,
1. 1049
2. 1043
3. 1048
The PC's connected to this Switch stack, belong to either one of the above VLAN's.

The Management VLAN is 1. and No PC's belong to the management VLAN.

This switch stack is connected by UPLINK ports to the Passport, which does the Inter Vlan routing. The Trunking is configured properly with tagging for all VLAN's i.e 1049,1048,1043 and 1.

Please note we can Ping all PC's connected to this switch stack from anywhere in the network.

The Problem is that we cannot ping the management IP of the switch stack.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

I am going to assume you configured these on the Accelar as I would, and explain the IP numbering I would have used, in a further effort to get you to discuss the issue.

On the Accelar (presumably Spanning Tree 1, or Accelar 1, although I found that with more than 4 accelars this numbering broke down) I would have called the 1049 subnet 192.168.49.x and made the VLAN IP 192.168.49.1, while in the 1043 VLAN was 192.168.43.x and the VLAN IP was 192.168.43.1 and so forth

The management VLAN would be 192.168.0.x and the accelars VLAN IP would be 192.168.0.1, the baystacks would then be 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.250 you would be having trouble pinging 192.168.0.37 say, although you could ping 192.168.0.1 (the accelar) and perhaps even other baystacks (192.168.0.25, say)

With the Accelar 1200's the router's IP cannot be pinged unless you have link to at least one other device in the subnet, if you cannot ping even the accelars Management VLAN IP, (192.168.0..1 in my example) you may need to put one end user device in that subnet hooked to the Accelar, to bootstrap this. it should not be needed once the baystacks work.

If the Management VLAN is VLAN 1 but the IP address of the stack is NOT in the same subnet as the accelar's Management IP then you need to give the Baystack a Management IP in the Management VLAN.

If you did not give the accelar a IP in the Management VLAN, then it cannot route from any other VLAN. (in this scenario you would be able to ping Baystacks from each other, but not from the PCs)

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the inputs. To clarify further,

A) The baystack switches are a combination of 450's and 460. With the 460 as the base unit.
This switch stack is uplinked to a Passport 8610.

B) Now reagrding the Management IP's for,
1. Baystack switches- 192.168.10.40/24
2. For the Passport 192.168.10.1/24
Both these switches have VLAN 1 as the management VLAN.

C) The software on the Baystack
Unit# Switch Model MDA Model GBIC Port GBIC Port Cascade SW Version
Module
----- ---------------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ------- ----------
1 BayStack 460-24T None 400-ST1 v3.0.0.54
2 BayStack 450-24T 450-1SX 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
3 BayStack 450-24T None 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
4 BayStack 450-24T None 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
5 BayStack 450-24T 450-1SX 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22

D) To conclude i guess this is a problem with the combination of 460 and 450's in the stack.

If you have further suggestion, please do post the same.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

Ok, lets try to prove to ourselves it is not just a routing issue.

Try to telnet to 192.168.10.1 this should be the management IP port of the accelar

from that telnet, ping the 192.168.10.40 address, from the 10.1 address that should not need a route, so if it works, we have a routing issue, if it does NOT ping we have a baystack issue.

in a similar fashion we could Hyperterminal to the Baystack and ping the 192.168.10.1 address, but it should be easier if the ping works from the accelar.

if these pings work we can telnet to the 192.168.10.40 address from the 192.168.10.1 accelar, if not, it sure looks like the 460 is more different from a 450 than I know (all I have are 450s)

if you CAN ping from the accelar, we need to look more at routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back