Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to ping Stack IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ports

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
AE
Hi,
We have a set of baystack 450's,460's in a stack, in which,Baystack 460 serves as the base unit and 4x 450's for connecting to the user PC's.

I am not able to ping the stack IP but the stack is working fine as i am able to ping all PC's and servers connected to this stack.

I have configured this as a hybrid stack.

All, info on getting this working would be great.

Thanks,
FG.

Hi

Just to confirm that you have configured the right feilds

In-Band Stack IP Address: [ x.x.x.x]
In-Band Switch IP Address: [0.0.0.0]
In-Band Subnet Mask: [ x.x.x.x]

Default Gateway: [ x.x.x.x]

The x.x.x.x feilds are required to be configured.

Hope this help

Mavvy

Hi,
I have put all the fields in the switch stack.
But still no luck.

Regards,
FG

One gotcha I do sometimes is to put the management IP in a VLAN with no ports. If you are using VLANs be sure your management IP is in the VLAN you expect it to be.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Hi,
Yes, I have the Management IP in the required VLAN.

Also the difference in this stack is that, I am Using both the 450's and 460's, this is a hybrid stack.

Well, i have tried all options, but still no Luck.

I apprecaite all the inputs, and waiting for more.

Thanks,
FG.

Check your PVID for the uplink port. Make sure that is set correctly. If the uplink is set to access then you also need to make sure that the uplink port is not a member of any VLANS. Biggest thing to keep in mind when using a 450 is that all changes have to be made manually. Hope this helps!

My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

The only switch that should have an IP address is the base 460. All of the 450's should have 0.0.0.0 entered for everything. Ensure that on the cascade modules, that the 460 is set as base but that's it...the rest should not be. When you boot the stack...plug in the 460 JUST before the 450's. It can be less than a second...just need the 460 to start first.

This should get you working if you have the correct IP info.

Another thing that I have ran in to, is that with older revs of code, I could not form a stack...I had to update all of the switches int he stack.

Hi,
I have tried the option mentioned by Jynxx. But still i am not able to ping.

For information sake the following is the stack config,
Unit# Switch Model MDA Model GBIC Port GBIC Port Cascade SW Version
Module
----- ---------------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ------- ----------
1 BayStack 460-24T None 400-ST1 v3.0.0.54
2 BayStack 450-24T 450-1SX 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
3 BayStack 450-24T None 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
4 BayStack 450-24T None 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22
5 BayStack 450-24T 450-1SX 400-ST1 v4.2.0.22

I have checked from the Nortel site and the Stack sofware is compatible.

Now what do i do......Guys i would truly apprecaite if suggestions are made.

Thanks and Regards,
FG.

Dumb question, but are you sure that you have the cascade cables hooked up correctly?

Each module has 2 ports on it. Port A on switch one should go to port B on the 2nd switch. Port A on the second go to port B on the 3rd...on and on down the stack.

On the final switch, port A should loop back up and plug into port B on the top switch.

A few further questions so i can understand your set-up better:-

Is the PC you are trying to ping the stack from connected directly to a port on the stack?

Is the PC in the management VLAN?

Are the 450-1SXs used as trunk ports back to a core router/switch?

Yup!!! Jynxx I have made the stack as u have mentioned.

As u can see from my previous post, the stack is working, as i can access all the 5 units from the Base Unit through console connection.

Has anyonefaced this problem before.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

Yup!!! Jynxx I have made the stack as u have mentioned.

As u can see from my previous post, the stack is working, as i can access all the 5 units from the Base Unit through console connection.

Has anyone faced this problem before?

Thanks and Regards,
FG

Hi Allyc75,
Here are the answers to ur questionS,

Is the PC you are trying to ping the stack from connected directly to a port on the stack?---YES

Is the PC in the management VLAN?----IF I MAKE THE PC IN THE MANAGEMENT VLAN, IT CAN PING THE STACK IP, BUT IF I TRY TO PING FROM ANY OTHER VLAN DEFINED ON THE SWITCH ...IT DOES NOT PING

Are the 450-1SXs used as trunk ports back to a core router/switch?---YES AND THE INTERVLAN ROUTING WORKS PERFECTLY FINE. ALSO IN THE CORE SWITCH (PASSPORT 8600) I CAN SEE THE ARP RESOLUTION OF THE STACK IP.

Hope my answers are clear.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

Can you ping both the stack and the PC from the passport?

Hi allyc75,
I CANNOT ping the Stack from the Passport. But i can Ping the PC.
Also i would like to mention that i can ping all the PC's connected to this stack, from the passport and from any other PC's in the LAN.

Strange isn't it???

Regards,
FG

Another dumb question...but is the base light lit on the 460 and off on the 450's? Just checkin' :)

I assume the asnwer is yes. So at this point I would definately start looking at the VLAN/uplink configuration.

Are you tagging VLAN's to the siwtches, or are you using the 2 fiber cards as an SMLT for redundant stack uplinks?

Maybe try removing one of the uplinks and do a standard single uplink port tagging config?

Hi Jynxx,
Answers to ur questions,

Are you tagging VLAN's to the siwtches, or are you using the 2 fiber cards as an SMLT for redundant stack uplinks?
NO, I AM NOT TAGGING VLANS TO THE SWICHES, I AM USING SMLT TO THE PASSPORT ON REDUNDANT STACK UPLINKS.

Maybe try removing one of the uplinks and do a standard single uplink port tagging config?
I DID TRY TO USE ONLY A SINGLE UPLINK TO THE CORE PASSPORT SWITCH AND IT DIDN'T HELP.

Anyways, i am glad that i am getting so many responses.
This is getting more challenging.

Thanks and Regards,
FG

FG

Are the uplink ports in the management VLAN on the Stack? Also are the ports on the passport linking to the stack in the management VLAN?

AC

Hi AC,
YES , the ports on either side are in the management VLAN.
Also i have checked the ARP on the Passport, and found the MAC of the switch stack and vice versa.

Regards,
FG

sounds like you need to tag the port from your passport to stack and vice versa. Make sure the passport and stack uplink port have the same PVID as the management VLAN.

If you are running multiple VLANs on your stack you must have tagging enabled for layer 3 functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back