Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to ping devices on same vlan within a Passport 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

reubanks

Technical User
Aug 29, 2005
US
I have an 8600 running 3.7.5.0. BPS2000, 450 and 5510 stacks are directly connected in the same default VLAN, STG, broadcast domain, etc. I can ping all the switch stacks from a workstation, but I cannot ping the stacks from a telnet session or consoled within the 8600.

Any ideas?

Try sniff packets when you ping stack from 8600 console.
Are you can see any ARP or IP/ICMP packets?

Im presuming the 8600 has a layer 3 interface presence in the VLAN in question?

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNA2,CWNA, Project+

Do you have an IP address assigned to the default VLAN that is in the same subnet as the switch IP's?

Sorry took so long to reply.

Yes, I have an IP address assigned to the default VLAN.
I actually three 8600s that are having this problem, all running same code level.
From a workstation or any of the switch stacks, I can ping any IP address, but from a telnet or console session on the 8600s, I cannot ping anything that is in the default VLAN. I can ping all devices that are in other VLANs.

Nortel is completely stumped. I've sent network diagrams, config files, log files. You name it, I've sent it.

I appreciate you guys thinking about this.
If you come up with something, ket me know.

Just so we're not making any assumption here:

Can anything ping the 8600's interface in that VLAN?
Can the 8600's ping each other?

Is there any chance that something else is duplicating the IP addresses of the 8600s? - I had a robot controller with the brain the size of a pea take down a small subnet that way this morning...

I like RepaRU's idea of doing a packet capture on a access port in that VLAN and looking to see if the 8600 ARPs for the remote IP address.

Yes, any device in the 8600s default VLAN can ping the default VLAN's IP address and the 8600s can ping each other.

I setup a port mirror on an interface of the 8600 and tried to ping the switch stack that is directly connected on the same interface from a telnet session to the default VLAN of the 8600 and did not capture any ICMP packets.

Looking in the ARP table of the 8600s, I can see every device.

As far as a duplicate IP address, when I telnet or console into the 8600s, they cannot even ping their own default VLAN IP address much less anything else on the same subnet.

Hope this helps

Thank you

In the packet captures you don't see ICMP packets, but do you see the 8600 sending an ARP broadcast looking for the switch's MAC? What if you delete the switch's MAC from the ARP table first?

Are you running anything like VRRP or SMLT that we should be looking at and thinking about?

hi reubanks,

You say from within the 8600 (telnet/console) you cannot ping the vlan ip address of the 8600 default vlan? But you say you can ping the other 8600's, you mean this is also done through a console/telnet session from within the 8600? Also can you tell us the network configuration you are using, I mean the setup like ip-address and subnetmasks. I know you already send this to Nortel but probably this will give us a more clear look on this problem.

Regards,
JeroeNortel

Yes, in the packet captures I'm not getting any ICMP packets from the 8600 to the switch stack.
I deleted the ARP entry for the switch stack...no change
No VRRP or SMLT

Yes, from a telnet or console session I cannot ping the default VLAN IP address, but from the same session I can ping the other 8600s

The network configuration is three 8600s connected via MLT Gig fiber in a triangle.
A
B C
All three 8600s have a class B address with a 16 bit subnet mask assigned to thier default VLANs.
Edge switch stacks are directy connected via Gig fiber in the default VLAN.
Between each of the 8600s are VLANs with a class C addresses and a 28 bit subnet mask.
Running OSPF on all VLANs.

I hope this is not too genneric.
If needed, I can e-mail you a detailed Visio drawing.

Thanks guys

Can you show the 8600's routing table in here ?
I also like to know the IP address of 8600.

Thank you !

M1227

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back