Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to figure out what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janak vyas

Technical User
Jun 3, 2020
IN
Screenshot_2020-11-06_130333_przzu1.png

The highlighted column came when i save the .dbf files and it is hindrance as the program is not able to read it.
I dont how how it came, what are the solutions please help.

when i delete that column and save it and try to open the file again the column that is mentioned highlighted appears again!

Janek,

Your screen shot is very small. It's almost impossible to see any detail. I definitely can't see what you mean by a "highlighted column".

Please explain exactly what we are supposed to be looking at.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Usually the row number 2 is the headings in our program, but I dont know what happened this row 1 is the problem

This is still vague. You originally referred to a highlighted colum. Now you are talking about a highlighted row. And you have not explained what we are supposed to be looking at. At first I thought it was a Browse window, but the red squiggly underlining suggests that it might be a Word table or an Excel worksheet.

It looks like row 1 contains a field spec (data type, field size), row 2 contains a field name, and row 3 contains actual data. But I have no idea where this data comes from or what you are trying to do with it.

We will do out best to help you, but you really have to make it a bit easier for us.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

That isn't a browse window for sure, you don't get row numbers in a browse or a grid - do you?
Must be a spreadsheet - and he's opened a dbf in it somehow and it's all screwy?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Sounds like you're using COPY TO and you've chosen the wrong file type. Best guess is you've used COPY TO ... TYPE CSV, which does that. Try TYPE DELIMITED instead.

Tamar

If the difference of CSV vs DELIMITED is processing with or without a first row of field names, I think Tamar has hit the right spot.

The second line looks like it's displaying both field name, type and width. But when this is taken in as data, then the first column alone is a problem, you can't store "ORGANI,C,3" in a C(3) = Char(3) column, the valuefollowing in line 3 is that width, but the line2 value needs a char(10) field to store it, and voila, the line 1 has a c,10 field. It seems to be auto generated fitting the width of the longest value in the column, which in this case is the field name.

So in very short, you did import a text file csv/delimited in th wrong way and thus have this new first line of generated fields to hold the actual field names as values. And that's wrong, the file has to be interpreted as field names in first line and then data following in further lines.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back