Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to connect to Remote SQL server over a firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

selani

Programmer
Apr 30, 2003
IN
Hi all,

we were connecting to a remote SQL server thro' query analyzer. Recently , a firewall was implemented in our network. since then i am unable to connect to the remote DB server. I get the foll error:
"SQL server does not exist or access denied"
I am very sure that remote DB server listens on port 1433.The firewall is also configured to hv this port open.My doubt is , is it necssary to hv Port 1434(for UDP) also opened up to access the server thro firewall?

Thank you in advance
selani

You might need that UDP port open. I've seen it work with the UDP port close, but I've also seen it not work.

Have you confirmed that you can get to the SQL Port? The easiest way is to telnet to the listener. From a dos prompt type "telnet servername 1433". If you get a flashing cursor in a blank window, it's connected. If not, then the firewall isn't open correctly.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Hi denny,

That has been a valuable input.Thank you.
We did chk for connectivity to SQL server using TELNET. The Remote server is not responding.
We have asked to chk the firewall settings

Regards,
selani

Hi all,

we hv finally figured out the sol.
Actually a number of ports (abt 10) had to opened apart from 1433 which is the default port for SQL server.
sorry i do not hv the list of the ports.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back