Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to browse - Browser freezes (IE 5.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2001
CA
After dialing in to our local ISP, Internet Explorer 5.5 finds the home page quickly.
After typing in an address, the broswer will find this address quickly as well.

However, after typing in a few addresses, the broswer appears to freeze - the bytes sent and received stop.

We disconnect, re-connect and all is fine for just a few minutes but then it freezes again.

We have a network card in this computer with an fake IP address assigned to it (192.1.1.1 with submask 255.255.255.0) but the computer is not networked.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Well it seems as though your server is becoming very slow very quickly.
This is due to the fact that when you dial up you are on the top of the list.
As others dial up you go further down the list.
As the server responds to requests it responds to the ones at the top of the list first and works its way down.
If the people on the top of the list require another server request before you recieve your first one you miss your turn.
I would try setting your security settings in Internet Explorer on MEDIUM other than that I suggest that you get a better server.
NETWORK CARD dosent do anything unless it is configured to recieve internet via LAN

:)

Thanks for the replay Toastie.
We've eliminated the ISP as the cause. Ths problem is specific to this one stand alone computer.

I mentioned the network card because a simular issue can arise when a network card is installed that is not conneted to a network. The fake IP prevents the browser from attempting to search for a web address via the NIC.

Security settings were set to default.

We have two computers side by side with identical components, O/S configuration and same connection settings.
One is perfectly fine,
The other appears to freeze within a few seconds of typing in a web address.

Could this have something to do with AUTOCOMPLETE perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back