Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(not a newbie problem) loadvariable madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepeio

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
FR
Hello.
I am actually coding a complete and complex game site using Flash and server side tools (mySQL for databases, and java Servlets for filling Flash with Data)
My problem is that when i start a LoadVariable, my servlets receive two requests instead of one.
I only send the loadvariable upon button up, never on button dow, my movieclip is present only once in the page.

I take it by "button up" and "button down" you're referring to the "on release" and "on press" actions? Or could that be the root of your problem?

dave dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oops. yes, sorry i did merge two api's jargon.
I've been testing further all day, and i now think the problem is by my side. When i create a seperate button whose instructions are the same, i get only one message.
Nevertheless, i did a mistake when starting the thread, as i send this on 'rollover' only.
I tried to avoid multiple messages by setting flags, but had no more luck.
it gives something like this:
on(rollover)
if(myflag = 0)
myflag=1
loadvariables(blabla)
endif
It seems i enter the test twice, what can't happen, except if i have two messages at the same time.

even more strange...
I now request the variables and send the millisecond timer with the url.
The two requests are created exactly at the same time (well at least at less than 1ms away one from an other)

Okay, i found it.
When using Netscape6, all external accesses (geturl loadvariable) are sent twice.
I've been sending a nitification to Macromedia.

Thanks for your help.

Ain't NS the problem here?
I like NS (especially NS6) as much as I like Macs!
Sorry Patricia! I just had to say it!

As Johnny Carson used to say... "Don't send in those letters! It's just a joke!"

B-)

yes, that's what i meant in my post.
LE jour où on aura des programmes qui réagissent comme prévu, je brule un cierge...

Pepeio,

NS6 is still a beta version, and even the 6.01 patch version they made does not fix the multitude of bugs inherent to NS6. Besides, less and less people are using it. So, if I were you I would not worry so much about what's happening on NS6.

(and you,OLD, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!)

Patricia

unfortunatly, i do a commercial site (game) and whatever the user has, i need to be able to give him a chance to play.
It's bad that such a problem happens to N6, but on an other hand i'm equally bothered by I.E because it closes its connections too early.
I HATE those navigators.

Patricia,
Happy to see you feel the same I do in regard to NS.
But as for the wife... "Can't live with her... Can't live without her!"
I see you're learning Scottish -> Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

If you have RealPlayer installed on Gaston, have a look at this:
C'est une pub qui a fait fureur dernièrement... Ce qui fait que plusieurs québecois lancent maintenant à tout venant "Bonjour Toto!", et qui pourrait expliquer un peu l'état d'esprit dans lequel j'étais hier soir!
... Et ça n'a rien à voir avec ma zigounette... J'ai abandonné ça quand j'ai eu 50 ans!

B-)

Old, of course Gaston has RealPlayer pfff

very funny commercial! Are you more like the drooling viking or the singing rambo?

(pour ton autre probleme Old, je n'ai qu'un mot :
V.. G .A LOL)

Patricia

I'm ze shark... Under the table!
In one bite, I'm the one that gets rid of the clown, when our hero hits the zapper!

B-)

BTW... Had to re-code this .smil file, which causes the display problems, because I'm testing this for someone in the Netherlands.
If anybody wants to see the rightly displayed screen try this link rather than the one posted above!

The interruptions slow connected users, as myself, might get are caused by the attempt to stream a higher bitrate encoded file than a slow connection will allow. Once the full thing is downloaded, there should be no problems re-screening it without interruptions!

B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back