Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton's AV, "windows is now shutting down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sk8erBoi

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
GB
a few of the computers in my organisation display the "windows is now shutting down" screen without doing it i have downloaded 2 shutdown patches the normal one and the one for mapped drives and neither work i have eliminated all other programs that run on our machines as standard except Norton's Anti-Virus 5.00.00 i was wondering if anyone else had similar problems
and if so could they tell me the solution

kindest regards
Sk8erBoi (Adam)

Actually I have seen this problem on 95 and 98 machines running that version of Norton. Go to the options screen in norton, disable the autoprotect, tell it that you don't want it to load every time you reboot, and then shutdown. If it shuts down okay, then you're just looking at that program. Then go turn it back on so you are protected from viruses again, then go buy Norton 2003.

Matt J.

it may be trying to scan the floppy drive on shutdown and hanging when it finds no media

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

VMPhilosophy; may be right on this was my problem exactly.

This issue could occur due to one of the following situations:

a) Norton Antivirus drivers not responding.
b) A background application running and causing a conflict.
c) Windows 98 itself (Remember: when you buy Windows 98, you also get a lot of BUGS for FREE!!!).

Try these troubleshooting steps in order :

1. Click Start/Run.
2. Type MSCONFIG and click Ok.
3. Under Startup tab, Uncheck all check boxes.
4. Click Apply and then Ok.
5. Restart the computer when prompted.
6. As soon as the computer starts, click Start/Shut Down and shut down the computer.

If it shuts down normally, one of the items under the Startup tab is the culprit.

If the issue still persists, get back with the following info:

a. Has Shut down ever worked on the comp?
b. whats the specifications of the motherboard (Give as much details as possible).
c. Whats the internet connection type that u use?

Regards,

Karthik Makam
Bangalore
India

hi Naanu it is not the motherboard because it happens on a wide range of machines eg. hp vectra v1420, hp vectra xe310, hp brio ba410, intel 845 series, intel 824 series to name but a few

i downloaded openwin.exe to see what is running in the background and after research i ruled out those.

internet connection is: 2mb lease line

and is have ruled out the startup items from system configuration utility

kindest regards Sk8erBoi (Adam)

Hi,

Why dont u disconnect the Internet cable and try shutting down. I hav seen issues with DSL or Cable. It may just work??

and, hav u tried installing the win98 shutdown fix available on the microsoft website??

I had the same problem with it looking for a floppy in drive a

Also there is a registry setting that can be changed for 95 machines that get stuck on the shutdown screen. What version of norton are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back