Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton won't install on Win2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
I have Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and Norton Internet Security. I tried to install Norton on my machine but it said that it doesn't install on Server machines. What software can I get that will install on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition?

There is a workstation and client version of Norton. The server version (I believe) is only available as part of the corporate edition.

Cheers,

Andy

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Well, I did my research on this. It's Norton Client Security, right? I tried to find this all over the city where I live but came up short. Supposedly, I can buy it for around $85 which includes 1 liscence, but appearantly Symantec has pulled it off all shelves of virtually every retail venue. The only place I can buy it now is from their website. The problem there is that they won't let anyone buy it unless they purchase a minimum of 10 liscences, and this brings the price up to around $800. I CAN'T AFFORD THAT!!! Is there any alternative internet security software out there. The minimum requirement that I need are that it scans regularly for and prevents downloads of viruses, runs on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, and is affordable (below $400). Is there such software?

You could purchase Norton Personal Firewall 2003. I found some sites still selling it @ nextag. This is what I'm using on my 2003 Web Edition.

But does Norton Personal Firewall 2003 do virus scanning and removal? I only ask this because the router we have to the office network is already acting as a firewall and we contracted what seemed to be a sasser virus on the server (it's the one that spontaneously causes the computer to give a 1 minute countdown before rebooting). It's been removed now, and the server's been unplugged since then. I don't want to plug it back in until I've got a reliable antivirus system working on it.

But does Norton Personal Firewall 2003 do virus scanning and removal?

No, I thought you were looking for an alternative to Norton Internet Security not Norton Antivirus.

However, this will work:

Let us know your results!

X

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents

AVG is a nice program. Buy it right from grisoft.com... in my experience i have seen not only the client side version find viruses symantec did not, but also in their exchange server version (server and exchange server are 2 different server versions)... obviously they share definitions so that should occur, but regardless it was nice to see. So, not only is it cheaper but (in my eyes) it has proven to be better then norton. Though i must admit, i hate symantec products. Their installation and overall functionality/integration/control over certain points of windows may be coded better now-a-days but they had already lost me by 1997 in regards to purchasing and actually using in production environments. I used F-Prot after norton, they actually offered 100% protection... wonder if they were ever sued by some infested user or company.... anyway, they are probably a good choice still and CA (Computer associated) seem to be whipping up some nifty programs, though i have never used or extensively read-up-on CA programs...

to get back onto avg... I would get the server version of AVG though, not the free client or "paid for" client version. They have a nice little network package too, centralized definition updates etc... heck, for any program, always get the server version if you're running a server and it is available. After all, WinXP Client isn't used to run your server right? There is usually a reason why there are multiple versions to programs and with a little research you can find out if there truly is a difference or if it's just a marketing ploy to charge more based on "server" label alone.

As for a firewall product, my opinion is to get something hardware... make your server's resources available to things like serving client requests, not things that can be done better elsewhere. I can only assume you are doing this to have a public IP on one of your NIC's, which is not the best idea (in my eyes) especially when you can have a good hardware firewall off ebay for $50 - 800. (no netgear, linksys or other soccer-mom products, even older sonicwalls can still stop most attacks...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back