Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton SystemWorks 2003 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylessKnight

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
good or bad? A lot of people have told me that it "took over their computer" and crahsed it running XP. I've had it for awhile, and it's fine.. So what's up with this program? What's it do? Should I uninstall it and just use it off the CD?

If your using and having NO Problems then continue to use it... Maybe the Problem users are using ILLEGAL versions. This happens many times...
My Daddy often told me "If it works don't fix it."

Frank Smith
s0121@dhcnetwork.com
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Or maybe people just don't know anything about pc's, which can sometimes accidently corrupt Norton. Some virus can also corrupt the program. Therefore, people will think that it is the Norton itself causing the problem.

Whatever you do, be nice to to people who helps you or try their best to make things better for you.

Beware of the unistallation of Norton Systemworks - it leaves DCHP problems which are the very devil to track down. Reinstalling XP seems to be the only answer until you find the following fix: ;)

I've received several emails, all with essentially the same fix for Windows XP. Here's the first fix I received, from Chuck Simciak:

In WindowsXP (and 2000 I suppose) you can remove DHCP's dependence on Norton Anti-Virus by doing this:

from the Start Menu select run
type 'regedit' and click OK
open the following folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and finally Dhcp.
Double-click the key DependOnService
remove what will probably be the last item in the list, something like SYMTDI. Leave everything else alone
click OK.
close RegEdit and reboot.
DHCP should work again.

Should a problem come up (messing up the registry entries) you can also press F8 (or is it F5?) and select Use Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu. That will restore various registry entries to what was used last.

I'm not sure why Norton installs this key. For some types of firewall software a dependency like this is added to ensure the firewall is running before DHCP grabs an address. Of course, Norton Anti-Virus should have removed this dependency when it was unistalled. Clearly its a bug in the uninstall routine.

Kerill Titiyevskiy of MIT found a similar solution, and a URL to the official Norton fix although the fix doesn't officially cite the "uninstall" problem. To quote the web site:

To edit the registry:

Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type regedt32.exe in the Run box, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
In the left pane, navigate to each of the following subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT
In the right pane, double-click the item DependOnService.
Delete any references to SYMTDI or NISDRV.
Click Registry and click Exit to save the changes and close the Registry Editor.
I have not seen any reports that indicate that NISDRV is a problem, but I expect that it couldn't hurt to delete them as per NAV's web site instructions.

My thanks to
Too late for our office manager who decided to uninstall all workstations with Systemworks and then had to re-install XP on them all!

I have been using Norton System works Pro' for as long as I have been using a p/c, that has been many years.
Nortn Sys Wrks Pro' "2003" is the BEST yet. It is big; it does take a lot of space. Yet it does a lot. I have more faith in "Go Back" than 'system restore'.
It first appeared when people were using small H/drives like 2-4gig in these days of 20-120gig+ it is small these days by comparison.
The space Paranoia though remains! I use a 60gig, a 20 would be sufficient for my needs. All my operating system (XP Pro')+ XP office pro + 'NSWP 2003' use is 5.19!
So there is heaps of room left on my drive, lots of room for DVDs, games and the like! Norton system works pro' was designed by experts. I have never experienced any problems with my system. When I did not run it I had untold problems.
Do not heed the scare mongers. This competent Anti-Virus system is top of the heap. $ for $ you get your moneys worth. Back-up second to none. "Thats my experience" ;-)

jonjontheMighty

Why would anyone want to uninstall the greatest set of utilities available for Windows users? :)

Yeah, yeah, I know, I am biased, but then again I have never had anything but the most profound experience and support from Norton since I started using them back with NAV 1.0 for DOS and then Norton Desktop for Windows 3.x :)

Odd that they have this problem, I am sure they'll get round to getting that fixed up though...

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back