Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexExpat

MIS
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am running Windows ME. I'm not sure if this is related to the OS or not, so I am posting it here. Please let me know if there is a better forum for this post.

I have Norton AntiVirus 2002 installed and installed an older version of Norton Personal Firewall, and everything worked fine.

I uninstalled the older NPF (as per instructions) and installed Norton Personal Firewall 2003. My computer would not restart properly for some time. As it was starting various items in the System Tray, the OS would hang. When I brought up the Windows task manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del, sometimes ccApp would be "not responding." After numerous restarts, the system finally started successfully. However, I found some apps already installed that would not start. Ctrl-Alt-Del showed once again that ccApp was hung. Stopping ccApp allowed the application to start.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall NPF. After reinstallation, it went into Live Update. Immediately after starting LU, I got a blue screen, then the system restarted. After that, I was in a cycle where the system would begin to load the desktop, then restart itself. I would get different blue screens about either "SymTDI(01)" or about an exception OE in VxD SymIDSC0(01) that was called up from VxD VTDI(01). That finally cleared up after numerous restarts, and I uninstalled NPF 2003.

Two of the blue screen messages I received were:
Message 1:
An exception OE has occurred at 0028 : C1497F74 in VxD SymIDSCo(01) + 00010914. This was called from 0028 : C168638 in VxD VTDI(01) + 00000185.

Message 2:
An error has occurred. To continue...(standard Windows text)
File Name : SymTDI(01) + 0001C49D
Error : OE : 0028 : C00A3CC5

Can anyone offer me any help with this? Why am I having this problem? How can I get it to install so that it works in my system? Thank you for any help you can offer me.

I'm not sure of the problems your having with the specific product but can offer a handy tip to try and prevent these apps from loading.

If you get into safe mode or just windows itself.

Hit the Start Button, and choose run, in the run dialog box type msconfig

this should bring up a window which shows all the listings of applications loaded upon windows start up.

If you choose the tab Windows Startup, you can then simply disable the problamatic applications by unticking their entries.

Once you've done this Windows will prompt to restart - do this and hopefully your issues are resolved.

A point to note would always to use the Add / Remove Programs icon in Control Panel as otherwise this leaves alsorts of horrible things in the Windows Registry.

I'd also recommend getting the following software and running it to remove redundant registy entries:

This sounds like your Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) has a corruption in it's database? I have had this problem myself and cured it by completely uninstalling NAV. What version of NAV have you currently installed as the older versions can cos problems? The Blue screen errors with OE and if NAV is at the end shows that NAV is your problem? Please note the blue screen eror and report if it has NAV included in the error report?

If NAV is the problem, I have already replied to this problem in another forum, so follow these instructions please?

this is from Zdnet.co.uk

my computer seems to be crashing regulary now and i get the blue screen saying a fatal exception OE has occured at 0028;C15E82AO in VxD--- i am badly worryed as i do not have a clue what is wrong i hope there is someone reading this that would be nice enough to help me you will go on my Xmas card list a promise thanx in advance

my reply:

Do you get a message saying NAV or any other anti-virus you might be using has caused the error? Does your computer restart in the safe mode? If so, it should take you to the help page and follow the instructions there. What is your operating system?

Try this first for diagnostics to make sure it's not some other problem!

Go to start/run,then type msconfig in the dialogue box .In the general tab,select selective start-up, then uncheck the four boxes:process system ini files, process Win Ini files, load static V&Ds, and loadup start group items, click ok and your computer will automatically reboot. It should start up with 2 error blue screen pages but hit y for yes and it should boot up ok, but you aint got any progs to run. so turn them on one at a time in start, run, msconfig etc but leave the V&D to last, cos that is probably where your problem lies? It's probably a file that has become corrupted in one of the drivers there. V&D controls all your drivers on your computer. I had the same prob myself but it was norton anti-virus which had become corrupted and was stopping my computer from booting up!

good luck

Also, if it is NAV delete it and go to grisoft.com or avast.com and download their free anti-virus software. And why r u running norton firewall with Zonealarm, they may conflict!

well, did my suggestion help/work, was it Norton anti-virus?
If you don't respond no one will know if this post could help others?

Another thing to note. When you uninstall NAV there are still bits of the program hanging around in the registry. If you go to Nortons site they have a procedure for completely removing NAV from your computer. See link below

Personally I won't have Nortons on any of my computers, BUT there are those who love it.

If you can get ME to boot try this. If not you may have to reload to get the system stable enough to remove NAV.

Good Luck,
Let us know what happens
1zman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back