Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Partition Magic and USB External Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNY

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
I am trying to partition an external drive that is linked up to an old computer via USB 1.0. OS is XP Home.

Norton Partition magic 8.0 indicates that it will not support operations that are executed in boot mode.

Is there a work around for this? If not, is there an alternative product that can accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Is the drive, at the moment, recognized by XP? Are you planning to reformat a whole partition on that drive? If so you should be able to format it in XP by right-clicking on the drive icon and selecting Format.

If the above is not the situation, can you explain your problem in a little more detail?

BobNY
Have you got the latest patch for Partition Magic 8? There is a 12MB patch that takes it to 8.01.
I have just used PM 8.01 to partition a 1TB ext. HDD without any problem, this was on XP Home SP3.

toolman59

@linney
The drive is recognized by XP. I do not want to reformat the drive. What I want to do is make two partitions and then load the contents and operating systems of two separate hard drives onto the USB 750 GB drive for backup. I plan to use Acronis True Image to mirror each of the HDD's.

@tooman59
I do NOT have the latest patch for Partition Magic. I will download it and check it out. Thanks.

@dippncope
Your suggestion sounds like a good option. If updated Partition Magic does not work, I will try the EASEUS product.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will report back what worked.

You should be able to do this from Disk Management in windows. right Click on My Computer and then click on Manage, then scroll down to Disk Management. It should list all the drives it can find.

Locate the USB drive and right click to get several options. Including partitioning and format options.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

@vacunita
There is no option for partitioning. GUI in Disk Management indicates drive as active and that there is only 1 primary partition. I tried to change settings to indicate free space but none is indicated in spite of the fact that there is almost nothing on the disk with 99% of disk space unused. So much for solutions from Microsoft.

If a partition already exists that takes up the entire drive then there is no unused space.
You'll need to delete the current partition, or re-size it to
make room for the other one.

If there's something on the partition you wish to keep back it up, before resizing or deleting.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back