Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

24Peaches

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
US
I would like to know how do I use Norton ghost step by step how do I use Norton ghost to transfer all my files from my Western Digital 20 gig HD to my new 60gig Maxtor HD.

System Specs:
win98
AMD 900mhz
DVD
CDRW
256DDR

Does it matter which one of these are Master/Slave when installing the DVD & CDRW?

You're probably looking at replacing the drive? You'll need to clone the drive. What version of ghost are you using? ~ Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Henry Ford~

ares69 is right.... we need to know what version of ghost you have?
also what OS are you trying to clone?
if you are trying to clone Windows XP or a NTFS partition made by XP you need at least ghost 2002.

Karmic I stated in the question above that I had a new drive already and the OS was win98. I am using Norton Ghost version 5.1...

Firewolfrl thanks for the site. I tried making a image of my drive, but it said not enough space, enable spanning.
Dumpfile size 2443 & 162mb available

Steps:
local-> disk ->to image -> select source -> file to copy image to (cdrw f:)->enter name to give image (C_18Feb)date created -> click save -> press enter -> compression (fast)
-> proceed with partition (yes)

your error is that you were trying to copy to a CD-Rom drive.(Can not be done)
Ghost 5.1 doesn't copy to CDRW drives (ghost 2000 and later)
slave the 60 gig to the 20 gig
you need at least 2 partitions on the 60 gig.
The second partition is where you will put the ghost image of the 20 gig. it can be a logical partition of 20 gig.(your primary would be 40 gig)
you cannot copy an image to the same partition you are making it from.

make sure they are Fat32

this site will help.
"Common Questions About the FAT32 File System"

you may need to go to this site to get the new Fdisk tool.
"Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back