Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno2000

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
SE
I have an old ghost backup on a cd with some important things on it ,I'm gonna reinstall my Windows 98 soon but i want to get to those things first.
Is it possible to restore that ghost if i put the whole thing on my harddrive first?
I'd prefer to load it from the CD but it doesn't work since Ghost is a dos program.

You should be ok providing there is enough room on another partition to hold the Ghost backup. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

That's just it ,i have no partitions..Only c:

Will it work still?

Of course you can load an image from the CD!! I store all sorts of Ghost images on CDs, you just need a boot disk to load the CDROM drivers! You can even make a Ghost Boot disk that will automatically load the CDROM drivers and search the CDROM for an image and start loading it.

Ok ,how do i make a boot disk for the cd rom drivers?

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, click on the Startup Disk tab at the top. Hit "Create Disk" button.

Ok ,i have a Windows startupdiskette allready ,how do i use it with Norton ,to get the CD rom drivers to work?

Hmm, Norton? As in Norton Ghost? I'm familiar with Symantec Ghost, I don't think I've used Norton.
Look around within Norton and see if it has an option to create a CDROM boot disk. That will load CDROM drivers for you and probably has some kind of interface you can use to select the location of an image to load.

Norton is made from the company Symantech ,i think we're talking about the same program

Is the cd bootable? do you have ghost installed on another machine?

If bootable set bios to boot from cd rom.

If ghost is install make a cd-rom boot disk, from the start menu/norton or symantec/Ghost Boot Wizard, make boot disk for cd-rom boot for ghost.

Symantec Ghost, and Norton Ghost are the same product "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back